Mayhem and trouble on the way

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: Mayhem and trouble on the way

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had no problems whatsoever, saw no sign of GJ's, no abandoned barricades or burning braziers, very very few cars on the roads, mainly poids lourds but it was apéro O clock time.

My clients arrive in about 10 minutes, it has not put them off, but then nothing would :lol:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Gardengirl wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:54 am
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:24 am
Gardengirl wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 pm

Good luck, hope all goes well; don’t forget to put your GJ on the dashboard!
Never in a million years would I do that and I have scorn for those that did and then criticised the GJ's.

Sorry, LD, it was meant to be light-hearted - I know you have strong views about them.
No problem, I took it in the spirit it was written, sorry for the late apology, been on the road!

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

It was quite a low key protest here. A few were gathered around a roundabout until 2.30, when they went off to another protest. I easily avoided them by taking side roads.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

DominicBest wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:39 am
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 pm
I will be arriving at Coquelles into the thick of it, have clients arriving tomorrow night, can afford 90 minutes of delays beyond that there will be some unhappy campers. Think I have enough diesel for the journey and have a couple of jerrycans in reserve at the hôtel, it will be good to use them as last time lurgies were growing inside.
You think that you have enough for the journey? Surely if you fill up before leaving the UK your super economical Skoda will have enough in the tank to last you a month, far more than you will need for the short trip from Calais to your home.
I only buy diesel (never fill up) in the UK if I dont have enough to get back to French soil as it costs more although less so these days, after a month in the UK I was still running on the plein that I did before coming over.

I knew the fuel warning light had been on for a few days but not how many (if any) kms were remaining on the dash display, there is 5l remaining after it says zero kms and I carry a 5l jerrycan (real one 1/4 scale) of diesel so as long as it showed some kms remaining I would be OK, it showed 30km so all was good and I refilled at Calais as planned

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

My U.K. based friends who were out until last Saturday told me that diesel is now cheaper in the U.K. More expensive or not I’d still have invested in a bit if I was coming back to a country with potential fuel supply problems.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had already invested in my buffer stock. We are all different, I don't try to impose my views or values on others and I try to respect theirs.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Diesel is not cheaper, it would surprise me if petrol was but I don't follow it. The difference is nowhere near what it once was.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

DominicBest wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 pm
My U.K. based friends who were out until last Saturday told me that diesel is now cheaper in the U.K. More expensive or not I’d still have invested in a bit if I was coming back to a country with potential fuel supply problems.
I guess that may well have been true before the recent increase in value of GBP vs EUR.

The AA has average prices

Petrol - 125.6 p /litre to 128.4 p/litre. Diesel -129.6 p/litre to 132.6 p/litre. I guess that is standard not premium.

I must admit I try to top up at the Total station by the Tunnel terminal as that will get me here on a tank - although even then I try to top up around Pontarlier.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am
Diesel is not cheaper, it would surprise me if petrol was but I don't follow it. The difference is nowhere near what it once was.
I’m only going on what I was told by a friend 10 days ago so presumed that it was pointless adding a bit of stress to your getting home post when it would have been easy for you to buy far more than enough fuel in the UK. There have been some people over the past few days who have had real travel problems.