PPP/PFI

A place to discuss politics, news and current affairs. Remember the rules and stay polite.
Ally

PPP/PFI

Post by Ally » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:34 pm

I've just watched this documentary produced, directed and presented by an old colleague, Campbell Martin in which he exposes the true cost of a particular PPP/PFI contract involving our former employer, North Ayrshire Council and and the building of 4 new schools. In it he questions the actions of the council, the police and the UK Civil Service.
Now, you may think, what has this got to do with me? Well if you watch the last 4 minutes you'll see the potential scale of this and how it affects every single one of us.
These users thanked the author Ally for the post (total 2):
Pale Ale (Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 pm) • suein56 (Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 pm)
Gone, but not forgotten.

suein56

Re: PPP/PFI

Post by suein56 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Great film .. Campbell Martin sounds to be a totally genuine person who is frustrated at every turn by the duplicity of some.
I looked up PPP/PFI and John Major apparently launched the idea in 1993 but was howled down by Labour at the time. But the idea was then relaunched by Labour themselves with the advent of New Labour a few years later.
In my view PFI is a dreadful, dreadful creation which, as the film says, makes some people/companies very rich and the ordinary people left paying the bill in debt for aeons.
Others will say .. how else do you expect expensive, modern hospitals and schools to be built .. as the general public do not want their taxes (of whatever description) raised.
I'm not clever enough to be able to answer that.
These users thanked the author suein56 for the post:
Ally (Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:00 pm)
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

why me?

Post by why me? » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Dreadfull things! I don't need to watch the documentary to know how evil these things were/are.
My company was involved for a short while in maintenance contracts on a couple of schools built by PFI. for local authorities who, starved of central funds, thought these things wonderfull until the chickens came home to roost.
The pressure on sub-contractors to act corruptly by falsifying timesheets & invoices was rife & by refusing to cooperate my contracts, by mutual consent, were terminated.
Not the sort of business I wanted anything to do with.
These users thanked the author why me? for the post:
Ally (Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:12 pm)

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm

suein56 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 pm
Others will say .. how else do you expect expensive, modern hospitals and schools to be built .. as the general public do not want their taxes (of whatever description) raised.
I'm not clever enough to be able to answer that.
How do other countries do it?

Government borrowing / bonds - likely at a lower rate than PFI

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if the concept these lousy offerings originated in the USA.
These users thanked the author bluebird for the post:
Ally (Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:51 pm)