French time keeping

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Joeblck

French time keeping

Post by Joeblck » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 am

I've been taught it's good manners to arrive on time.
Waited 45 minutes past the arranged rdv time,at least the Doctor apologized
This morning the Nurse advised me she would be at my house at 8.00 am,one hour later she arrived....It's not cricket:you tell me the arranged time and I'm there waiting. Small potatoes,I know,but grates my nerves.
London Irish.

just a Frenchie

Re: French time keeping

Post by just a Frenchie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am

I agree ! Being late should almost never happen. My GP is perfect from this point of view: she is never late for more than 10 minutes even late in the afternoon and I do appreciate ! If she can be that good, why others are so badly organized ? But our nurse can be between 1 hour ahead and 3 hours late: we are stuck for all the morning !!!
French saying : l'exactitude est la politesse des rois (accuracy is the courtesy of kings) - are people always late in France because they fear to be behaded ? :lol:
I'm never late. When I go to an appointment, I always allow for a comfortable margin: anything can happen in the traffic (a tractor impossible to overtake, or...). And because I'm always accurate, I have no tolerance with other people !
In some parts of France, being late is a standard : where I live, it's called le quart d'heure Vendéen . Here, everybody is usually late of a quarter of an hour: what's the point ?
Some people even consider that being late makes you superior: "look, you had to wait for me because I'm a VIP" ... How stupid !
These users thanked the author just a Frenchie for the post (total 2):
Aardvark (Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am) • Spardo (Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:33 am)
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:47 am

Joeblck wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 am
I've been taught it's good manners to arrive on time.
Waited 45 minutes past the arranged rdv time,at least the Doctor apologized
This morning the Nurse advised me she would be at my house at 8.00 am,one hour later she arrived....It's not cricket:you tell me the arranged time and I'm there waiting. Small potatoes,I know,but grates my nerves.
Do you think that the doctor and nurse did it on purpose?
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post:
Ally (Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 am)

Monsieur3seas
Has thanked: 0

Post by Monsieur3seas » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:10 am

by coincidence I went to the doctor yesterday. normally you can wait half an hour or more because she is so thorough and so I don't mind waiting.
I got there a couple of minutes before and there was no one in the waiting room. I sat down, looked for a suitable magazine to read and she appeared. In 10 years here it's the 1st time she was on time - I told her off because I didn't have time to read the magazine...…..

on another similar topic re (not) arriving late deliberately.....in Norway, where I lived for 3 years, if you invited a Norwegian to dinner they would ring the door bell at exactly the appointed hour. Even waiting outside in the cold until the second hand hit 12. my OH says it's great for making souffles (spelling?)

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 am

I don't like being late but it happens all the time. Shit happens. Doctors and nurses turning up late is usually an indication that they've spent more than the allocated time with previous patients. Even guys turning up late with a parcel. Do you think they don't want to have each delivery behind them as quick as possible and get their shift finished?
Gone, but not forgotten.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:33 am

just a Frenchie wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am
. . . anything can happen in the traffic (a tractor impossible to overtake, or...) . . .
You need to talk to Mysty

Catrose

Post by Catrose » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:47 am

I’m ok with doctors and nurses being late, as it’s usually for a good reason and they will continue their day until its finished. So the last patients of the day aren’t told to go home because it’s past their clocking off time.

But what drives me insane is when concerts and theatre performances don’t start on time. Which they often/usually don’t. It’s unprofessional as well as being rude to the audience who got there on time Sometimes it’s because people are still filing in to the auditorium, well tough. At the start time the doors should close and then you only get to come in when there’s a break in the performance.

Stompie

Post by Stompie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:45 am

I can cope with medics being late, assuming it's due to taking extra care of previous patients but there really isn't an excuse for most other people.
I would do well in Norway, I like to be punctual!

What about being early, to me that's as bad as being late but my OH is always early, I find it so embarrassing. 😳

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am

I’m with catrose on this. And i’m In a choir! When we start doing warm ups 5 minutes after the concert was due to start it makes my blood boil! But i’m Just l’anglaise and can’t change it. Here it’s le quart d’heure corrézien! So rude! But in my current choir there are Dutch and Belgian, so it’s a BIT better!...

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Joinfrance wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am
When we start doing warm ups 5 minutes after the concert was due to start it makes my blood boil!
Do you think you might be overdoing the warming up? :shock:
These users thanked the author Loup-garou for the post (total 2):
Ally (Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:07 pm) • Loiseau (Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm)