Current draw

Water, electricity, gas etc.
JohnnyD

Current draw

Post by JohnnyD » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Evening all again

Electrical sockets in France, are they rated at 13 A similar to the U.K.? Some of the stuff I am bringing over will be UK plugged, so I will either chop off the uk plug and fit an EU one, or just use a uk/fr adaptor, I assume the adaptors are rated 13 A?

I also assume that no French kit is fused as the plugs don’t seem to be big enough to house a fuse?

Are there any laws with using U.K. electrical goods in France with either adaptors or replacing the plugs ?

Thanks

JD

niemeyjt

Re: Current draw

Post by niemeyjt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:04 pm

It depends on the trip and wiring in part - but the conventional sockets are normally 10A - but there are larger sockets available.

Most of the UK->France adapters I have are rated only at 5A - check yours - enough for computers, lamps etc - but not for kettles and irons.

Also note the wiring system is different - with star rather than ring mains in UK.

Finally, LeGrand do/did UK style sockets to permanently wire into a French electric system - obviously the rest of the wiring config, breakers etc will be to French standards. Maybe someone will give you a link?

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Chop off the U.K. plugs and fit French plugs, there is no such thing as an EU one. For some things like phone chargers you might need to use adapters or one U.K. multi socket extension fitted with a French plug but for anything else fit the proper plug.
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post (total 2):
Aardvark (Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 am) • SW31girl (Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm)

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks for that, so is the wiring rated at 10A or larger? By star do you mean all spurred on individual circuits ie radial?

JD

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:21 pm

Yes - radial.

Wiring - assume nothing - a previous person might have "upgraded" a lighting circuit (I saw this in a 70s block of flats I was in) - but should be.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Should be 10 A or larger ie 13 A ?

What size breakers or RCD are normally in the consumer unit per radial?

JD

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 pm

Johnny, a summary of one page only ( number 10). This will not be enough to understand the French electrical code. Furthermore, may I invite you to start reading this and have a look at what's behind the several included links.
These users thanked the author RobertArthur for the post:
JohnnyD (Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:50 pm)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm

French wall sockets & the mating plugs are rated at 16 amp except the old style 2 pin ones which I believe are 6 amp

As Dominic says fit French plugs, LeClerc is the only place in 15 years that I have found sells them at a reasonable price, you can use a 2 pin plug in a 3 pin wall socket, may appliances come with them fitted, they are cheaper and less obtrusive but be aware that they should only be used on double insulated appliances that have no earth wire and the maximum current is 6 amps (OK for a table light etc but not a heater/toaster/iron/kettle) because the pins are smaller and wont make good contact.

There is in fact a Euro plug, the 3 pin Schuko plug which most whote goods destined for EU countries have fitted, this is compatible with French sockets so can be left attached.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Aardvark (Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 am)

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm
French wall sockets & the mating plugs are rated at 16 amp except the old style 2 pin ones which I believe are 6 amp

As Dominic says fit French plugs, LeClerc is the only place in 15 years that I have found sells them at a reasonable price, you can use a 2 pin plug in a 3 pin wall socket, may appliances come with them fitted, they are cheaper and less obtrusive but be aware that they should only be used on double insulated appliances that have no earth wire and the maximum current is 6 amps (OK for a table light etc but not a heater/toaster/iron/kettle) because the pins are smaller and wont make good contact.

There is in fact a Euro plug, the 3 pin Schuko plug which most whote goods destined for EU countries have fitted, this is compatible with French sockets so can be left attached.
Your 3 pin Schuko plug might work in France and Germany but is hardly an EU plug as the list of countries that it will not fit is much, much longer, starting with the U.K., through Holland, Austria and Italy to name but a few. My point was that there is no one common plug that works throughout.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:26 pm

:mrgreen: Bulky plugs with fuses that you can't tell are blown without a tester... So glad to leave behind the antiquated UK ring main system.
These users thanked the author Tom for the post:
Aardvark (Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 am)
The trouble with a kitten is that
Eventually it becomes a cat.
—Ogden Nash