Caught by the pompiers and 20 euros poorer

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Spardo

Re: Caught by the pompiers and 20 euros poorer

Post by Spardo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 pm

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:28 pm
Your 20€ could mean that a response to a fire chez vous might be faster than to someone who only gave 5€. Here, the amount given is usually 10€, but we don't begrudge it.
Really? We have always given 20, but they don't call every year even though the neighbour and both sons have been pompiers. Liable to be even less frequent now since Boss came to live here. Although he wouldn't deter them from their regular visits to cart Fran off to hospital after yet another stroke. :roll:

The postman is at work, so goes against the grain somewhat, but I did use to give him something years ago when he pulled a cord to a bell to let me know there was something. I discontinued the practice when I ditched the bell arrangement, haven't noticed any resentment or diminution of the service. :)

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Our local pompiers are all volunteers so they get a €20 bung - they come around in uniform and it's all official with a receipt etc.

They also do a storming flash mob:-
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

"If you are going to believe, know why you believe and back it up with something...".

Doug

Post by Doug » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 pm

I didn't mean just a fire at the house, in a medical emergency the S.P. also responds bringing behind then a doctor, perhaps you havn't lived here long enough, not listened, or just didn't know but in an emergency especially in the country you phone 18 or 112 and are asked which emergency you need, you can also be put through to an english speaking line.
I know from experience as when I collapsed unconcious spewing up blood a couple of years ago they were here in ten minutes
Last edited by Doug on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 pm

If we’re in we always give 20€. If we’re away we normally leave the money with our neighbour. Another neighbour was chief of our local fire station until he retired.

We’ve both needed help from the pompiers for medical emergencies and really appreciate what they do plus one of our lovely waiters in our favourite restaurant has become a volunteer with them, don’t know hw he fits it in with a full time job and 2 little children too.

Hal

Post by Hal » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Doug wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 pm
I didn't mean just a fire at the house, in a medical emergency the S.P. also responds bringing behind then a doctor, perhaps you havn't lived here long enough, not listened, or just didn't know but in an emergency especially in the country you phone 18 or 112 and are asked which emergency you need, you can also be put through to an english speaking line.
I know from experience as when I collapsed unconcious spewing up blood a couple of years ago they were here in ten minutes
I hope this is not a continuation of your gripe towards me... if it is, then again, I am not complaining so back off. I haver never complained about them and well aware of the scope of their service. Anyway, I must be higher up on their list - when someone staying in one of my Gites was in the early throes of a stroke, they were here in seven minutes

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 pm

I owe the SP's big time but they never call for une étrenne, the postwoman does, well she asks if I want to buy a calender, she is always cheery and hard working so she gets €20 and I tell her that unless they have become outward looking (no chance) and the calenders now have a space beside each day big enough to write something usefull like an appointment time then I dont want one, I simply want to give here a bung!

And I just typed bang instead of bung, wishfull thinking?

If I remember I will go to the caserne and bung the SP's something, I am a frequent customer!

suein56

Post by suein56 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Fitter wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm
Our local pompiers are all volunteers so they get a €20 bung - they come around in uniform and it's all official with a receipt etc.
We give our pompier callers 20€ too .. but, when we did need help, I would rather have had the motivated group from your video link than the lackadaisical bunch that took a good 40 mins to arrive chez nous .. although their station is less than 10 mins away. OK it was at 4am in the morning and it wasn't a fire. But they thought my OH had fallen whilst in the bathroom and banged his head .. er no .. he had had a gastro haemorrhage .. so their report which accompanied him to Hospital was not much help when he finally arrived there.
Fortunately an intelligent nurse .. prompted by my probing questions .. got him the treatment he needed.
He was in Hospital for 4 days following the event.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

exile

Post by exile » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 am

I have never been caught by the pompiers - sounds painful!

Seriously though, they don't come round here. The postie brings a calendar and always gets what I hope is a nice tip.

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 am

Fitter wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm

They also do a storming flash mob:-
great video - it brightened my Monday morning. Thanks

Monsieur3seas
Has thanked: 0

Post by Monsieur3seas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 am

very nice dancing pompiers....but when do they get their kit off?

we always invite the pompiers in for a drink when they come. last year they arrived and it was a guy and his girl friend - both pompiers.
they stayed for about 2 hours he drinking my selection of malt whiskies and she a little bubbly - she was driving. They come every year and this time they said they only came to us and the rest of the road get done another evening!

also last year, we were at some friends for pre xmas drinks when the chief pompier arrived - he stopped for 3 glasses of bubbly and then said he has an arrangement with the local gendarmes to not stop him on his rounds....

20 euros seems about right