Express cheque clearance or cashed at bank?

DominicBest

Re: Express cheque clearance or cashed at bank?

Post by DominicBest »

bluebird wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:14 pm
Yes I guess there is that.
Still surprises me to see folks in France paying in shops and supermarkets with a cheque, for even a small amount.
Cheques aren't yet obsolete in the UK, but very rarely used.
When the U.K. banks wanted to stop them a few years ago the customers complained so they were kept. German banks stopped issuing cheques 10-15 years ago.

exile

Post by exile »

But German banks had a longstanding alternative paper system - Ueberweisung - transfer slip, when they decided to withdraw cheques. It still caused problems with international purchases when the foreign firm was not set up for card transactions.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I was just stating a fact. When I first moved to Germany in the 1980s the concept of paying with plastic was in its infancy, you couldn’t even presume that petrol stations would accept them. Cheques were important. As plastic became more and more widely accepted with chip and pin then contactless they took over very quickly and cheques declined. There are particular groups of people who will always want to use cheques or use cash for their transitions but as we go forward electronic payments will take more and more of the business. The dinosaurs will try to cling to the old ways for as long as they can.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Germans and plastic. You still get some who will not take PayPal.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

My UK neighbour wont buy anything on line using his credit card, he uses Paypal but only has his bank account registered, no cards (I think), he wont give his credit card details to make a phone purchase.

He wont use on line banking and every week goes to Santander to pay all his bills over the counter and also to make bank transfers for the carers looking after his elderly relatives. The latter is going to cause him a real problem if he has to advance some money quickly, if he is on holiday or the car is out of service.

With on line banking etc people are more reluctant to give their credit card numbers over the phone yet years ago practicammy everybody did it for mail order by phone.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”