Linky

Water, electricity, gas etc.
Gardengirl

Re: Linky

Post by Gardengirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Joinfrance wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:17 pm
All this is very interesting. I recently received a letter saying Linky would be installed. When they phoned I said ‘no, thank you’ . I was told in no uncertain terms what would be the result if I refused. I was also told that if I was in France when they chose to fit it, then the law required me to be HERE. As it happened I will be in France but 600km away. It’s going to be fun...
Jo, are you saying that you don’t want a linky at all, or that you’ll need to change the date to one which fits in with your life - I changed ours twice. What you are quoting sounds so wrong, no doubt intended to worry people.

Some residents in our building haven’t bothered contacting them about changing the date on the letter; one told me that she just didn’t bother answering the doorbell when they came - she’ll no doubt eventually get round to making an appointment suitable for her.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:53 pm

A bit off topic but wonderful service from ENEDIS today.

We have a ruined barn which used to have an electric supply. Today the roof and a wall fell in and the cable from the street disappeared under the rubble. This afternoon I carefully cut the cables and discovered they were still live. Called ENEDIS and within ninety minutes two vans arrived. Half an hour later they had removed the cable right back to the street and had made everything good.

:D The vans left, both with a selection of stones from the wall on board.
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I don’t want a Linky. I don’t need one, and there is a big ? About their safety - at least in my mind. The woman on the phone was very -how can I put it - sure of herself. Rude! She read the riot act! Ihave an appointment in December eventually. I may not be here...

tohubohu

Post by tohubohu » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Mieux vaut être saoule que con, parce que ça dure moins longtemps

Noisette

Post by Noisette » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Joinfrance wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:04 pm
I don’t want a Linky. I don’t need one, and there is a big ? About their safety - at least in my mind. The woman on the phone was very -how can I put it - sure of herself. Rude! She read the riot act! Ihave an appointment in December eventually. I may not be here...
There's a certain procedure to follow, Jo, if you want to refuse the installation of a Linky. You need to write lettres récommandées to EDF, Enedis and the subcontractor they'll be using (name is on the letter you receive to say when they'll be installing it). Then you get a snotty letter back from Enedis saying that you're legally obliged to have it installed. But you're not. And if they put one foot on your property when you've asked them not to, they're trespassing. (Of course it helps if the current meter is inaccessible from a public right of way). So don't be bullied, as so many have been.
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 pm

You are both quite right regarding the bullying, initimidation and lieing.

Enedis are a bit better now in that regard but its the sub-contract companies that are installing the equipment that are the real problem now and they are far worse, so much so that they must be on some kind of a commission or bonus for getting 100% of the meters changed, they spnd so little time on each property doing the upgrade that they cannot get a lot of money each one, indeed they try to be as quick as possible to get as many done a day as they can, quite understandable.

What doesn't make sense is how much time and effort they will spend using intimidation, lies and every other trick in the book for those like myself who refuse, their has to be some bonus as above.

They moved on from my area over a year ago, all my abonnements still have the existing compteur CBE's which I paid for and installed despite them claiming they were the property of EDF, they are still reading the meter twice a year using the pastille de téléreportage outside and my Direct energie are still billing me and taking/adjusting the monthly prélèvements as always.

I think at the end of the roll out they will either have a nationwide initiative to tackle those remaining with the old meters or maybe not bother because they will represent a de minimus amount, or I hope that perhaps someone or an organisation might have taken them to court for abus de pouvoir or violation de domicile.

If your meter is outside on the limit of your property they will do the Linky upgrade regardless of you following the "correct procedure" and writing all the letters in the world, they even broke the lock off the electricity sub station to install a Linky for the street lighting, it was a Passe EDF lock as well!!!!!

basileus
Has thanked: 0

Post by basileus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:35 pm

There is a lot of tosh about linky's tripping earlier than older meters. The meter doesn't trip, it is the disjoncteur which is set to trip the supply. If you look you will see two distinct components - the disjoncteur (on/off switch with ampere limit setting) and the meter. What often happens is the linky installer changes the disjoncteur for a new one which works correctly whereas your old one was generously giving you a few more kVA. That happened to me because I wanted to up the kVA to avoid frequent tripping.

In the meanwhile the meter is NOT disseminating intimate data about your personal habits but does indicate when you are using how much electricity. In my mind it is quite reasonable for supply companies to charge for having to read your meter because you refuse to have a linky.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:13 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with you Basileus on the question of what trips.

With the old compteurs it is indeed as you say, with the Linky its the Linky itself that trips and can also be cut off and reconnected remotely by Enedis, when they install it they program in the puissance souscrite and change the link setting in the disjoncteur d'abonnée to its maximum rated current.

Initially they were indeed tripping at precisely the set current, it was a way of getting millions of people to have to up their standing charge for a higher current abonnement, tarifs which they deliberately changed to make it more expensive for the higher currents than before.

They tried to convince me that they trip with precisely the same characteristics as the disjoncteurs, I already had a test rig set up on my bench in anticipation of that lie so invited them to connect the Linky and to prove it to me, they declined and left :roll:

A freind did a test, his partner posted about it here, his Linky showed an overload current of 20% I think which was much less than my compteur CBE's have registered from my own tests, crucially being a thermal device they will tolerate an overload for a very long time dependant on its magnitude before tripping.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Regarding it being reasonable to charge for meter reading, I quite agree although the unions of all the soon to be sacked meter readers might have a different view.

However under the current contract that I have with them they are obliged to do so twice a year at their cost not mine.

I challenge every one of the mistruths that they have used on me, they are completely unprepared for it as nobody ever questions authority, when they said that I would be billed €150 for each meter reading in future and I asked for proof they backed down and because i would not let it go they eventually and with discomfort admitted that it was not true but they had been told to say it, as if that makes it alright.

They will of course change the contracts but then they will have to persuade the customers to sign it, they may do it sneakily like Credit Agricole that wont let you access on line banking or the app without accepting the new conditions.

I believe that at the end of the day people like myself with a genuine reason for refusing the Linky and the foil hat brigade will be so insignificant that they will just let it go and wait till they move or die.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Noisette (Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:39 am)

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 pm

To underline what has been brought forward by Le Démerdeur (almost the language of meetings) I would like to ask Basileus to have a look at the hardware inside LINKY. Where we find an "organ de coupure". To prevent damage to installed LINKY meters this article in CPCHardware opens it's green cover and explains what we see on the printed circuit board without breaking the law.

About the good old main switch, the disjoncteur de branchement, this topic, not too long ago. Very tolerant, easily swallowed 30% or more overload before switching off. It looks like ENEDIS changed the rather sharp current/power limiting of LINKY, softening it up a bit for the recent versions of their smart meter. ENEDIS employees do not want to comment, family secret.