What is the problem with supermarket cooked chickens

A place to discuss food, share your recipes and drink choices/recommendations.

Do supermarket cooked chickens agree with you

Poll ended at Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:31 pm

1. They make me fart.
25%
2. I fart anyway.
25%
3. No issues with supermarket cooked chickens.
25%
4. That is a bit to personal for me to answer.
25%

Total votes: 4

mysty

What is the problem with supermarket cooked chickens

Post by mysty » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Chicken, if I buy chicken nuggets, cook chicken breasts, make chicken soup, fry chicken no problems at all.
Buy a cooked chicken from the supermarket and its not just the one store I am like a fart machine the following day.
What do they do to the chickens here.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Simonflys

Re: What is the problem with supermarket cooked chickens

Post by Simonflys » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:39 pm

I find....the main problem with supermarket cooked chickens is that they're not cooked right through. Often under cooked, or even uncooked, nearer the bones. However, not being one to moan, it's a problem easily sorted and I still much prefer them to an emaciated, over-priced poulet fermier!! The other issue is that cooked chicken is often displayed next to raw chicken - bit dim.

Most meat served up in France tends to be under cooked, as it starts off tough as old boots, and just gets tougher the more it's cooked! I can't tell you how many people I've watched trying to chew steaks and end up leaving most of the gristle on their plates - yuk! I gave up ordering or buying steaks here years ago. Generally - red meats aren't hung in France so over-cooking just turns it into leather.
These users thanked the author Simonflys for the post (total 3):
PatF (Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:40 pm) • rabbit (Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 am) • Aardvark (Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am)
I Never Did Mind About The Little Things.....
https://youtu.be/OSQR_GpCtEo

exile

Post by exile » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:57 pm

WE don't have that here, but once a week the market comes to town with a chicken rotisserie. Chickens on spits on a slowly revolving chain that moves up in front of a gas fired radiant heater and then down the back, so that the fat from the near raw chickens drips down onto the fully cooked ones, and eventually all the fat drips onto potatoes slowly cooking in the salmonella laden fat.

PatF

Post by PatF » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:58 pm

We rarely ate cow meat in France. And when we did it was slowcooked. I bought the french equivalent of shin or skirt for a slowcooked stew with our own soaked Tarbes beans. They are a very good protein additive but labour intensive.
I've still got some packs of this stew in our freezer.

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am

I do not know because I have never bought a SKC. So, this has no bearing on the thread.

https://www.globalspec.com/industrial-d ... kc_bearing

But, last week I bought a can of hot-dogs, or so I thought.. I had a couple a few days ago They were not very nice, and lacked firmness and taste. In fact, not quite revolting, as I ate them. I looked at the ingredients on the tin and discovered that they were supposed to have contained chicken meat and other stuff. I am not sure what I will do with those that were left.

Not that I buy much food-stuff, that is really the oh’s Dept. If I buy anything to eat in a packet or tin in the future, I will follow my oh’s Example and closely study the legend before I buy.

KFC anybody?

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am

I don’t understand the steak thing, I don’t order steaks that often but in general when I have they have been great. My boys always want steak when they eat out in France because they say it’s so much better here.

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:30 am

DominicBest wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am
I don’t understand the steak thing, I don’t order steaks that often but in general when I have they have been great. My boys always want steak when they eat out in France because they say it’s so much better here.
I find the opposite. The steaks in the UK are tender but often tastless. I find steak in France is tough - often too tough to eat
These users thanked the author rabbit for the post:
Aardvark (Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am)

curtis

Post by curtis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 am

DominicBest wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am
Agreed, I find steak in the main is fine. We have a local butcher that sells meat from the Bazas race. Never buy supermarket chicken. We order ours twice a year from a local producer. Top quality taste and firm meat.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:38 am

Nifty wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am
I do not know because I have never bought a SKC. So, this has no bearing on the thread.

https://www.globalspec.com/industrial-d ... kc_bearing

But, last week I bought a can of hot-dogs, or so I thought.. I had a couple a few days ago They were not very nice, and lacked firmness and taste. In fact, not quite revolting, as I ate them. I looked at the ingredients on the tin and discovered that they were supposed to have contained chicken meat and other stuff. I am not sure what I will do with those that were left.

Not that I buy much food-stuff, that is really the oh’s Dept. If I buy anything to eat in a packet or tin in the future, I will follow my oh’s Example and closely study the legend before I buy.

KFC anybody?
Don't you have a dog? They'll eat almost anything.
Life: Terms and Conditions apply

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:03 am

We had dogs of our own for many years. Alas no longer.

We had somebody here all day yesterday who has a dog, I was so busy helping them doing a massive prune of hedge that surrounds our gaff the so called hot-dogs were not at the front of my thoughts.
That seems to be the way that they will end up, unless I get the munchies.