Bats

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
bubbles1

Bats

Post by bubbles1 »

We had a tiny bat enter the house last night. It flew in an open window in the lounge then flew upstairs into the bedroom, where I was in bed reading. I got up and threw open our large windows but it kept bouncing off the walls. It then flew into the other room upstairs, so we shut the door and again opened the large windows so it could go out. The poor thing was again bouncing off the walls and it was too quick for us to try to catch it and we were afraid it would injure itself. After about 6/7 mins it flew away.

We have never experienced this before and felt helpless. We tried turning the lights out, keeping them on and nothing seemed to make a difference. Any advice from anyone would be welcome if it happens in the future.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Le Démerdeur

Re: Bats

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Did it actually bounce off the walls or was that a figure of speech, usually their ultrasonic "vision" means they look like they are going to splatter but they always change direction at the last minute.

As they seem to turn 90° and then fly straight until the next obstacle is detected you can understand why they cant leave through the window they came in from unless it abuts against a wall.

If it happens again try making a sort of funnel with the curtains from the side walls to the edge of the window.

If it was hitting the walls then its untrasonically blind and will have already met its end.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pm
Did it actually bounce off the walls or was that a figure of speech, usually their ultrasonic "vision" means they look like they are going to splatter but they always change direction at the last minute.

As they seem to turn 90° and then fly straight until the next obstacle is detected you can understand why they cant leave through the window they came in from unless it abuts against a wall.

If it happens again try making a sort of funnel with the curtains from the side walls to the edge of the window.

If it was hitting the walls then its untrasonically blind and will have already met its end.
It was all so fast - but it made a noise like hitting the walls, not just wing sound, so I think it did touch the walls, poor little thing it was so small and we tried to do the best we could - somethimes it is not enough - thanks for the info X
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

In our old house in brittany we inadvertently caught a bat in a mouse trap.

From our bedroom it made such a banging noise above and OH went up to the attic to see, thinking it was a large mouse or rat. Sadley it was a bat so OH ended it's misery.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

We've had a few bat incidents. The most memorable one was in our old house where we had a colony in the window surrounds and one turned left instead of right when leaving one evening and appeared in the living room. Four terriers got very, very excited. It was a scene of complete chaos trying to extract the dogs, who were like greased ferrets, open the windows, get the lights off. It worked and Batty escaped unscathed.
I just about jumped out of my skin when a young one dropped on my head when I opened the shed a couple of months ago, it was picked up (with gloves) and set to roost in a safer location.
We love sitting in the gloaming watching them leave in the evenings.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Noisette wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 pm
The accepted advice from the experts is to turn the lights out, leave the window open, shut the door and wait.....Their ultrasound will guide them to the exit.
Brill - thants kinda what I thought as it must have come in to the house because of the lights - so thats what we did in the end. Just wasnt sure if thats the right thing to do

Plog

Post by Plog »

Noisette wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 pm
The accepted advice from the experts is to turn the lights out, leave the window open, shut the door and wait.....Their ultrasound will guide them to the exit.
This ^^^, they will normally find their way out eventually. They can be carriers of some nasty diseases ( which can include rabies) - so if really really do have to handle one wear thick gloves.

Southerly

Post by Southerly »

When we lived in the Aveyron one summer night two bats for some reason decided to fly into our bedroom. The lights were out but it still took them about half an hour to find their way out. As usual my wife remained fast asleep.

Where we live now we see them every summer night at twilight. Apparently they eat up to 1200 mosquitoes a night, not enough as far as I'm concerned and it's nice to lay in bed listening to the owls.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Yes I love them. In 25 years this is the first one in the house. Love to see them flying around feeding.

Owls in the woods opposite the house - brilliant - they have nesting site in an old tumbled down house in the woods so we have quite a few - lovely

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

The first time I came across bats was when I moved the shutters away to close them, in our newly bought house in winter 2005. There were these strange things, like leather gloves, behind the shutters. Shut them up, and found out later that they were hibernating bats.
After that we saw a lot of activity from them , mostly in the evening in the spring and summer. I used to sit outside watching them swooping around, catching the evening flying insects.
But sadly they became fewer over the years. As with other creatures such as various frogs, beeping and midwife, and fireflies.