Sudden increase of birds

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Mangetout

Sudden increase of birds

Post by Mangetout »

After months of dry weather we've at last got rain. And all of a sudden our bird population has exploded. Birds flying around in and out if trees, feeding again and singing like crazy. Why is this. Has the weather brought about this change or just coincidence. Any experts out there?

ajm

Re: Sudden increase of birds

Post by ajm »

Just the reverse here.We put food out for the birds and have had lots of sparrows,chaffinches,etc. all summer.Now the rain has come they seem to have disappeared perhaps they are sheltering from the rain.
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Mangetout wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:49 am
After months of dry weather we've at last got rain. And all of a sudden our bird population has exploded. Birds flying around in and out if trees, feeding again and singing like crazy. Why is this. Has the weather brought about this change or just coincidence. Any experts out there?
Not an expert but we have noticed the same here since the showers started. We had a gorgeous green woodpecker on the lawn yesterday afternoon. He was fairly obviously young as he didn't know quite what to make of our fairly resident pair of collared doves who stroll around the garden as though they own it.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Doug

Post by Doug »

Being avid birdwatchers (not twitchers) every year at this time it goes quiet, having brought up a number of clutches they all must be heaving a sigh of relief and feeding themselves up ready for winter. Then after the much needed rain there has been a sudden increase of insects for them.
Saying that we had yesterday evening thousands of swallows on the lines by us, never seen so many.

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

I can understand the increase in ground feeders like woodpeckers and blackbirds but not the others. Ah well, its lovely to see and hear them.

Doug

Post by Doug »

Mangetout wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:08 pm
I can understand the increase in ground feeders like woodpeckers and blackbirds but not the others. Ah well, its lovely to see and hear them.
Watched yesterday evening clouds of gnats etc floating out of and above our trees, birds were having such a feast.

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

"Sudden increase of birds"

Not another Boris thread surely?

Doug

Post by Doug »

Lemorvan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:20 pm
"Sudden increase of birds"

Not another Boris thread surely?
No these wear feathers not nothing when he's about.

Joeblck

Post by Joeblck »

My resident flock of sparrows don't go far,they're too well fed.Got some wagtails,wren,robins,doves and some black birds....what do I miss...song thrush and missel thrush.
London Irish.