Cash withdrawals from French banks

Spardo

Re: Cash withdrawals from French banks

Post by Spardo »

In answer to Tom and Lindal, who both posted after I had written the above.

I can't remember the limit but I did fall foul of it a couple of years ago. I was asked to hire a car to collect a dog while mine was under repair. At Super U they demanded a card for deposit and, without thinking I handed her my French debit card. Of course that payment went straight through. I was then required to make a seperate payment for the hire and again I presented the card but this time it was refused. I had gone over a daily limit apparently. This closed down that card on a reducing basis for the next 30 days and forced me to use my UK credit card for diesel, an expensive way to do it.

What I should have done at Super U was, paid the deposit on the UK credit card as it wouldn't be likely ever to be put through, and for the hire on the French debit card. But it didn't occur to me at the time. So I don't want to fall into this trap again, especially as a pensioner with an income below that chargeable for tax which might have other ramifications. I can justify all my expenses payments as I keep scrupulous records and receipts, but not this.

As regards selling a dog, I expect it is so but rarely enforced. Normal payments to rescue organisations are much less than this I imagine.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

You transport dogs, you are not in the business of money laundering. The buyer and seller can arrange the money between them, there is absolutely no need to get involved on that side of things.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Result! Two in fact.
Bonjour David,
On garde le covoiturage comme prévu, je vois de mon côté avec la personne pour la régler d’une autre façon !
Je pense que l’on va trouver la solution, pas de souci et je comprends parfaitement !
Avec mes amitiés.
Evelyne
then this:
Je reviens vers vous !
Tout est annulé – tant pis j’espère que le chien trouvera une bonne famille ailleurs.
Mais la personne n’est pas sérieuse !
Désolée, toutes mes amitiés.
Evelyne
I think we have seen her off, and good riddance, but Evelyne's 2nd message leaves again hanging in the air the question of stud or rehome. :)

jsks

Post by jsks »

I think you've dodged a bullet there.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

jsks wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 am
Yeah, felt it whistling past my ear. :o :lol:

And now I will be at home to watch 'A Confession' next Monday night. :D
A true story which I know, having read about it before, and seen it touched upon in a documentary, but I was enjoying seeing the whole story unfold again. :)

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

jsks wrote:
Agree.

David - not sure if you have a "network" - but maybe others might like to be aware of the potential scam / scammer?

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 am
jsks wrote:
Agree.

David - not sure if you have a "network" - but maybe others might like to be aware of the potential scam / scammer?
I appear to be alone in this kind or 'work' J, but I certainly won't be keeping it a secret from those I meet. :)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I think the lovely Evelyne has been taking advantage of your good nature & generosity, seeing it as a sign of weakness to be exploited to the maximum, your suspicions that she is not a rescue and rehoming centre but an ilegal breeder & seller are probably justified.

I will go further and suggest thats its not the other woman who is pas sérieuse and has changed her mind but Evelyne realising that you wont be duped this time.

Its a very cynical view born out of 15 years experience in an area where precieved weaknesses are expected to be exploited to te maximum and boasted about, I sincerely hope I am wrong in your case.

My advice if ever it happens again either with Evelyne or anyone else is not to seek to justify your decision which almost sounds like you are apologising, it would further reinforce their perception and they will try to negotiate around or dispel your concerns, the best is a strong and unequivocal refusal and rebuttal of no more than 3 words.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and the facial reactions of your other genuine rehomers when you recount the tale to them.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:59 am
I think the lovely Evelyne has been taking advantage of your good nature & generosity, seeing it as a sign of weakness to be exploited to the maximum, your suspicions that she is not a rescue and rehoming centre but an ilegal breeder & seller are probably justified.

I will go further and suggest thats its not the other woman who is pas sérieuse and has changed her mind but Evelyne realising that you wont be duped this time.

Its a very cynical view born out of 15 years experience in an area where precieved weaknesses are expected to be exploited to te maximum and boasted about, I sincerely hope I am wrong in your case.

My advice if ever it happens again either with Evelyne or anyone else is not to seek to justify your decision which almost sounds like you are apologising, it would further reinforce their perception and they will try to negotiate around or dispel your concerns, the best is a strong and unequivocal refusal and rebuttal of no more than 3 words.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and the facial reactions of your other genuine rehomers when you recount the tale to them.
Your 1st para, possibly, but I will continue with the benefit of the doubt a little longer and try to decide on each case as it unfolds. For instance, delivering a dog to a family whose kids are obviously overjoyed is unlikely to be a puppy farm .

With your 4th para, you are right. In future I will just say no, can't do that. ;)

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

I know the law on selling dogs is hard to enforce, but I do know it is getting increasingly more difficult for people to advertise anywhere. Even if you are giving away a dog it has to be chipped and vaccinated. So, people try all sorts of scams to get round it. You are allowed to recoup reasonable costs, which is around 140 euros for the chips and vaccinations . Dogs found straying can only be rehomed via a rescue association or the fourier. I'd steer well clear of this person in the future and personally I'd be tempted to report them to an animal protection association.