Avast Cleanup Premium

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
SP1DER

Re: Avast Cleanup Premium

Post by SP1DER »

Windows 10 security has adequate virus and threat protection plus ransomware protection and should be shut down if you are running third party virus protection (such as Avast, AVG etc.) otherwise your system will be slowed down considerably. Never run two virus protection systems at once.

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/multiple ... idea/2670/

By the way I would never recommend Kaspersky!

CCleaner and Malwarebytes are both excellent programs for keeping your 'puter free of rubbish. Let CCleaner "fix" anything it finds wrong with registry after using the save option first , worst case scenario you can always recover it. I run them once a week and have never had a problem using both for many years.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Agreed Sp1der .. but not everyone, even in this day and age, has Win 10.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Mike

Post by Mike »

Agreed, I don't have Win 10 I have Mojave 10:14:6 which was a free upgrade to my MacBook Pro about four days ago and I don't run any add ons, it's a mid 2012 and I have never had a virus or maleware, my iMac is even earlier and again never had a problem, I do run Windows 7 on Parallels, but only because my accounts package was windows based, I think the only way you get a virus is if you leave the windows open. :lol: Oh yes neither of them have ever crashed or needed the Alt: ?: Del re-start up, such a long time since I needed it, I can't remember the second key stroke, Get a Mac guys they very rarely go wrong.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Oops.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Seems to be Avast's new model:

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/avast-sno ... y-firefox/

J

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'll be removing Avast and AVG from my "next change" list. 8-)
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

I'm far from being an expert... But I've read in multiple places that, having windows 10, you don't need an antivirus because it has a built-in one. On top of that, if you have several Antiviruses, you could have conflicts. When I bought my Dell laptop 6 years ago, it was supplied with Mac Afee free for a while. Then I had to pay every year for an invading 'gendarme'. Microsoft forced me from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and , a bit later, I had to change my HD for a SSD and re-install Windows. I didn't re-install any Antivirus. Touch wood: I don't have any problem at all... Every so often I clean the cookies, temporary files and stuff just in case.
I'm more and more convinced that Antiviruses try to handcuff you: they scare you saying that your laptop has been infected by 12 735 germs that they are happy to eradicate if you pay...
Well, with no antivirus installed for a few years, no problem despite the fact I spend a lot of time on the internet. When Windows says 'this website is unsafe, don't go there !', I don't go... Anyway, it's not a question of life or death ! If the worse comes to the worst, I can always restart from scratch and re-install Win 10 :D
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Yes, Windows 10 includes Microsoft's own A-V tools - and earlier versions of Windows had Security Essentials and similar.

For anyone using Windows 10 I recommend Shutup 10 - https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 - although 1909 is not currently listed.