Phone calls every day for someone else!

Water, electricity, gas etc.
manonthemoon

Phone calls every day for someone else!

Post by manonthemoon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:49 am

We've had the same number for the last 9 years.

However I am really fed up with getting at least one, sometimes more calls every day for a person whom I presume used to have our number because they ask for her.

Today when the phone rang I answered it, yes I know I could have ignored it but, I am waiting on a phone call so wasn't sure if it was the call I was waiting on. Of course it was for Madame D~~~~~~ so I asked the caller how he got the number, as we're on list rouge and have signed up with the site that is supposed to limit the calls. He replied that it was from a site where his company pay a euro (might have been a cent) to a database who gives out numbers. You would think that after all this time, this particular Madame should be removed from any databases.

Can I get Orange to change our number? Don't know how easy it is and of course I might start getting calls every day for Mr Christmas :? instead.

joeblck

Re: Phone calls every day for someone else!

Post by joeblck » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 am

I've been recieving calls from a 0044 number, I screen all calls,however thinking it was a family member,I answered yesterday it was a Indian gentleman asking me..........Hung up!
How do these advertisers get a UK number,when it sounded like an Indian call center :? ?
London Irish.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:22 am

We were getting fax calls from random numbers, about 3 to 4 a day, Orange were no help when we asked how to block them... so we have cancelled our phone line and they can keep their broadband. They did not attempt to make us stay !

We now have a Sim Router (Huawie bought for €45)for unlimited broadband with Free mobile and use our mobiles for all calls, all for under €25 a month, sure the connection is not as good yet but it will get better over time. The other plus we don't have to deal with Orange !

p.s The router is portable so can take it with when we are travelling and use in the car etc.
These users thanked the author Annabelle's Papa for the post:
joeblck (Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:27 am)
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:54 am

joeblck wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 am

How do these advertisers get a UK number,when it sounded like an Indian call center :? ?
They buy them.
Same old nonsense.

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am

It was much more simple in the old days. Mysterious calls like that simply meant that someone in the household was having an illicit sexual relationship with a third party.
I hasten to add, I have no wish to undermine anyone's marriage or confidence. I'm 73% certain that it's a misdirected marketing call.
When a toxic person can no longer control you, they will try to control how others see you. The misinformation will feel unfair, but stay above it, trusting that other people will eventually see the truth.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:12 am

Not even that, the systemis so weak that with a simple software package they can present whatever number they like, when the system doesn(t work it defaults to displaying the number 0123456789.

A lot of them now are displaying 06 or 07 prefixes to make you think its a mobile calling or more and more they are using your own local dialling prefix to make you think its the doctor/phramacie etc etc.

They are all the same automated call centres where if you speak it goes click after a second and connects you to a surprised sounding person who sounds like you have called them or will often just continue chatting with the person next to them.

Never reply, remain silent and the call will drop after exactly 1 second, if you are with Free you can then block the number for what little its worth, I have thousands blocked and am still under siege.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am

Ally wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am
It was much more simple in the old days. Mysterious calls like that simply meant that someone in the household was having an illicit sexual relationship with a third party.
I hasten to add, I have no wish to undermine anyone's marriage or confidence. I'm 73% certain that it's a misdirected marketing call.
Yes when I was living with a promiscuous free spirit I would often get calls for the Coastguard :lol:

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 am

After getting 20 or 30 spam calls in a day we decided not to answer that phone at all unless we were close enough to see a name from its directory. Every day or so I scroll through the missed calls in case it is someone we want to talk to.

There has only been one such in the past month. This is because anyone I would want to speak to has my mobile number or sends an email. I get hardly any spams on the mobile, fingers crossed. :)

At the moment, just looked, there are 25 and I'll clear them out a little later. 5 minutes doing that is better than rushing to answer unwanted calls every day.

There is a more serious side to this. Before we decided on the non answering policy my wife was daily troubled by a woman speaking English from a mobile number who only wanted to chat away but inserted personal questions into the conversation. After I had come down from the ceiling on hearing this, my wife, who by this time was becoming extremely anxious, finally told the caller to effoff. This from a woman who hardly if ever swears. Don't know if the woman stopped after that because...........we don't answer that phone anymore. :lol:

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Ally wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am
I believe that happens when you're in love with a beautiful woman.

On second thought, then someone hangs up when you answer the call.
These users thanked the author Flaneur for the post:
Ally (Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 pm)
Same old nonsense.