new Banking security measures

niemeyjt

Re: new Banking security measures

Post by niemeyjt »

You can get WiFi based boosters for poor signal areas that route your call over the Internet.

Here are three's offerings: https://3g.co.uk/guides/how-to-improve- ... ree-signal

Hal

Post by Hal »

As you say, lots out there on sim swap.

I confess to being completely bamboozled by this one especially as I thought I was on top of the scam game! Obviously not!

I see now how the fraudster gets the victim's number. I cannot believe that a provider would port a number onto another sim at all, let alone porting one with minimal questions.

Quite worrying.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Decided I needed to change the number I have on Credit Mutual since I have not had that number for a while and trashed the old phone & SIM. Fed in my new number and guess what - they sent a security code to my old number! Have to get security code via snail mail now.

Tried to order something off CDiscount and had 3 cards refused because the security codes have not been sent to my mobile and it timed out. Receiving texts ok since I had one from SFR and facebook while waiting for the banks.

NatWest say they have amended my number so working now (0033 instead of +33 then 033 which they had changed) - only I have to wait 72 hours before it is activated and use card reader till then.

Bugger - I give up with trying anything else today.

exile

Post by exile »

niemeyjt wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:07 pm
You can get WiFi based boosters for poor signal areas that route your call over the Internet.

Here are three's offerings: https://3g.co.uk/guides/how-to-improve- ... ree-signal
So rather than use land line, Viber, skype or one of the other computer based systems for contact and a computer (needed for the aforementioned) for ordering, you are suggesting taking out a (not cheap) mobile contract to that we can receive a text message via the same router we use for the computer.

The world of technology gone mad it would seem.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Mad indeed. You buy a phone with data and then use skype to make calls over the data that a basic Nokia 3300 would have been able to make. Only difference is costs (and security)!

But for other mobile phone based services, like SMS, it may be an option?

Otherwise ask your bank for the TAN via e-mail - like Amazon offer.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

I had an issue with Lloyds and my credit card with them. They asked me to ring to give them my mobile number but then said that I couldn't do it over the phone because I don't have a Lloyds account. But they would send me a letter with a code to use when I called back to try again.

10 days later I recieved the letter from them which omitted to give me a code but told me to ring, So I did, with the same result. I was told that I would have to send a letter, not an email, to give them my number. Done, straight away.

I asked when does this new system start, the reply was that it already had. When I said that I had done online transactions in the last few days with no problem there was an embarrassed silence. Then they said that, as those were with Amazon UK and I had an account there, that was security enough.

It has worked since as well. I am hoping that I will find the same with Amazon France too, but so far I haven't been prompted by Banque Postale to do anything at all.

ajm

Post by ajm »

La Banque Postale have a message on their site saying that things will change in September and you will have to join up to .Certicode.
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

ajm wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:35 pm
La Banque Postale have a message on their site saying that things will change in September and you will have to join up to .Certicode.
I have noticed that and I'm dreading it. F knows what hoops we will have to jump through when that starts. :roll:

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

niemeyjt wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Yes. I just got one from Orange. Its called a femtocell. Cost €20 but worth every cent. I often buy online and when I get to the checkout Visa insists on sending me a security code to my mobile. There is literally no network coverage here at home so I have to rum out, get into the car and drive up the hill until I get a signal to pick up the code. Then try to get back to the PC at home to use the code before the whole thing times out. What a hassle. Now with the new gadget I get the code instantly (as long as the OH can remember where she has left the mobile and hasn't left it on to flatten the battery).

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

And while we're on the subject. OH tried to log in to her UK bank account last week and was met with the new "security code via SMS" bollocks. The code didn't work. Tried again, and again no workee. Then locked out of her account. She phoned her bank (call centre) and waded through 20 minutes of automated messages and key punching designed to make people lose interest and give up. When she finally got a live body on the line he appeared to do his best to get it sorted but couldn't. He put her on hold for about ten minutes while he discussed the problem with some other department. Bottom line was he told her it couldn't be fixed over the phone. She would have to go in to her branch to get it sorted. :shock: How very convenient. So she is locked out until she can get back to UK and hopefully her branch isn't one of those that have closed and doing all their business online. :roll: