Snakes in lakes.

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Spotty

Re: Snakes in lakes.

Post by Spotty »

jsks wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 am
niemeyjt wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 am
I blame the bible for giving snakes a bad name.
Geoffrey

That's a bad name for a snake.
Monty is a good one though quite specific to the Pythonidae family

Ally

Post by Ally »

I saw a tweet recently criticising the spelling of Siobhan. "Why is it pronounced differently from how it's spelt?" asked Geoffrey.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Maybe the snake you saw was the Lambton Worm? Here's a picture of mysty slaughtering it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Worm

jardiniere

Post by jardiniere »

[quote=exile post_id=78423 time=1566082405 user_id=217]

Some snakes - inc. grass snakes - eat small fish and amphibians. From Chris Luck's site (some of you may remember Chris)

http://www.planetepassion.eu/SNAKES-IN- ... rance.html

Yes, I remember Chris Luck. From his site about grass snakes:

"They are superb swimmers and can often be observed in lakes, ponds and rivers with their head held straight up out of the water; diving and swimming under water is another strong point being able to hold its breath for a good 20 minutes. They can also be seen from time to time in trees sunning themselves on low branches or in a trunk fork."

20 minutes! Amazing. Also amazing is that female grass snakes can grow to 2 mtrs. I've only ever seen quite small ones. I didn't know how much I didn't know about grass snakes. When I'm out walking with my dog in the woods I just sing loud so any snakes about will just wriggle away.

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

jardiniere wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:35 pm
exile wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:53 am

Some snakes - inc. grass snakes - eat small fish and amphibians. From Chris Luck's site (some of you may remember Chris)

"They are superb swimmers and can often be observed in lakes, ponds and rivers with their head held straight up out of the water; diving and swimming under water is another strong point being able to hold its breath for a good 20 minutes. They can also be seen from time to time in trees sunning themselves on low branches or in a trunk fork."

20 minutes! Amazing. Also amazing is that female grass snakes can grow to 2 mtrs. I've only ever seen quite small ones. I didn't know how much I didn't know about grass snakes. When I'm out walking with my dog in the woods I just sing loud so any snakes about will just wriggle away.
Good plan but snakes are as deaf as posts :lol:

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

Anacondas and Cottonmouths are N. America and S. America only. Why would they be in France?

mysty

Post by mysty »

wilbro wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:22 pm
Anacondas and Cottonmouths are N. America and S. America only. Why would they be in France?
Yes I know it was no anaconda if it was it would have got us :shock:
People dump illegal pets you never know what you could come across.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

exile

Post by exile »

Spotty wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:12 pm
jardiniere wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:35 pm
exile wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:53 am

Note quite so surprising when you consider that reptiles are cold blooded. They therefore do not need to consume energy and therefore oxygen to keep their body temperature up.

jardiniere

Post by jardiniere »

Spotty wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:12 pm

No! Singing gave me such confidence. Well, how much more is there to know about snakes. This forum is so educational. :)

jardiniere

Post by jardiniere »

mysty wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:31 pm

People dump illegal pets you never know what you could come across.
So true. A kangaroo was recently spotted (and photographed, so not a hoax) in a village in Deux Sèvres. He's still not been found and no-one has reported him missing so it's assumed it was kept illegally. Do hope the hunters don't get him.