Getting Pension at 60 - Carriere Longue

tim17

Getting Pension at 60 - Carriere Longue

Post by tim17 »

Supposedly if you started work before the age of 20 (and are able to prove NI contributions in the UK) you can retire at 60 here if you accumulated more than 168 trimestres in total between the two countries, has anyone heard of carriere longue?

Le Démerdeur

Re: Getting Pension at 60 - Carriere Longue

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Plusieurs dispositifs existent, prévoyant des âges de départ en retraite différents selon votre situation. Née en janvier 1962, selon la législation actuelle, vous pouvez prétendre à la retraite à taux plein à 62 ans si vous justifiez de 168 trimestres validés. Dans le cadre du dispositif de retraite anticipée "carrières longues", vous pouvez partir dès 60 ans. Pour cela, vous devez réunir au moins 5 trimestres d'assurance avant la fin de l'année civile de vos 20 ans et justifier de 168 trimestres cotisés. Attention, dans ces 168 trimestres cotisés "carrières longues", il ne peut être tenu compte de plus de 4 trimestres pour le chômage, 4 pour la maladie,... Les trimestres de durée d'assurance pour enfant ne pas pris en compte. Ceci étant, seul le régime de base détermine votre date de départ en fonction de votre situation.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I could not copy/paste it but the tableau in this article gives you the info for every birth year.

https://www.cfdt-retraités.fr/13-Retrai ... vail-jeune

Shame I screwed up so many pension years while i was self employed, I could have retired at 58.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Service public (https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F13845) gives you the same information plus the forms you need to fill in to apply.

I can only add: be prepared to be disappointed, then it may come as a nice surprise if accepted... I hope that will be the case for you.
I was convinced I would be able to retire at 60, but I had 2 trimestres missing from the beginning of my career (before the age of 20) so was refused and had to work until the age of 62. Very frustrating when you get to the end and find that someone moved the goalposts.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

As I started full time work at 16 I should have enough accumulated trimestres by the time I get to 60/61 to qualify but that might go out of the window if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, in which case we'll have to come up with another plan.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

Dilly wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm
Service public (https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F13845) gives you the same information plus the forms you need to fill in to apply.

I can only add: be prepared to be disappointed, then it may come as a nice surprise if accepted... I hope that will be the case for you.
I was convinced I would be able to retire at 60, but I had 2 trimestres missing from the beginning of my career (before the age of 20) so was refused and had to work until the age of 62. Very frustrating when you get to the end and find that someone moved the goalposts.

A separate question, did you get a full pension at 62 and was that based on the French or UK pension rates?

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Why would leaving the EU affect that Tim?

Does it mean that if you were say American and in exactly the same circumstances, cotising in France as long as you had and in any country really including the UK beforehand that you would not be eligible for the French pension and their rules?

tim17

Post by tim17 »

I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this only applied to pension contributions within a country that had some sort of reciprocal arrangement so if those arrangements became null and void by the UK crashing out of the EU it wouldn't then be possible to 'pool' contributions and I would get two separate pensions at different ages - at 62 from France and at 66 from the UK.

exile

Post by exile »

From a quick look through I see no mention of contributions made outside of France. I am guessing therefore that to get your Non-French contributions considered, they would have to have been gained from a EU member state since EU directives generally demand equivalence across the EU.

If that is right it raises an interesting question. Does equivalence of UK contributions end when the UK leaves the EU? Or should contributions made in the UK when the UK was in the EU be considered as still equivalent to a contribution made in a remaining EU country?

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

More chance of getting a french pension than UK now! When I took stopped being employed I was due to get it at 62, now it’s 66.

But how does it work when UK doesn’t hand out pensions at that age and many of your trimestres are from UK?