There's something in my garden!

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Archy

There's something in my garden!

Post by Archy »

It's been a odd week, I took an early morning walk down the lane 6:00am only to find a pine martin and her babies running towards me - they came quite close then crossed the lane and into the fosse - how lovely to see them. Then a very small deer ran across my path. A couple of evenings ago a rabbit hopped around in the garden and disappeared then a hedgehog came from under the hedge realised humans were in the garden went up on stilts and scuttled off into another hedge. We now have a glow worm on the edge of a stone step which is nice cos a lot of folk don't get to see glow worms but there is something in our hedge. What it is I have no idea it makes a snuffling noise and a kind of groaning now and then and we can hear it move around. It's quite weird to hear it. I don't think it's a bird as I'm sure it would fly out so what it is I wonder? One thing is for sure if any of my neighbours see these they will be out with their shot guns! Mrs A.

Ally

Re: There's something in my garden!

Post by Ally »

it makes a snuffling noise and a kind of groaning now and then
Hedgehog.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Hedgehogs are keen on dog food, allegedly.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ally

Post by Ally »

And cat food. That's how I recognise the noise.

Archy

Post by Archy »

I shall now put out a dish of cat meat in the evenings and see what happens - I have a few bowls of water out around the garden for the birds maybe the hedgehog is visiting these bowls as well. Thanks to you both for the info. Mrs A.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

We put out hedgehog food, that we get from Vivara (they were recommended to me on this forum) each night with water. I know the hedgehog(s) comes as we have seen them but who actually takes the food is up for debate. It has always gone by the morning.

exile

Post by exile »

Ally wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:37 pm
And cat food. That's how I recognise the noise.

But not fish varieties which are allegedly not particularly good for them - and they are lactose intolerant so no dairy products.

Mike

Post by Mike »

@MrsA

I wish I was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
How could you be unhappy
When the sun shines out your bum.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Archy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:35 am
It's been a odd week, I took an early morning walk down the lane 6:00am only to find a pine martin and her babies running towards me - they came quite close then crossed the lane and into the fosse - how lovely to see them. Then a very small deer ran across my path. A couple of evenings ago a rabbit hopped around in the garden and disappeared then a hedgehog came from under the hedge realised humans were in the garden went up on stilts and scuttled off into another hedge. We now have a glow worm on the edge of a stone step which is nice cos a lot of folk don't get to see glow worms but there is something in our hedge. What it is I have no idea it makes a snuffling noise and a kind of groaning now and then and we can hear it move around. It's quite weird to hear it. I don't think it's a bird as I'm sure it would fly out so what it is I wonder? One thing is for sure if any of my neighbours see these they will be out with their shot guns! Mrs A.

Sounds amazing, lucky you. I'm never up so early to see what goes on, but often hear different animal noises through the night.

Archy

Post by Archy »

MOTM - 'but often hear different animal noises through the night.'

So do I - it's usually the other half :lol: :lol: