Rich pensioners and free TV licences

A place for some light-hearted chat.

Should old people pay for aTV licence

Poll ended at Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:21 pm

1. They have had it too easy for too long.
7%
2. Send them back to work.
No votes
3. There is more to life than TV.
14%
4. its a disgrace they have worked hard all there life's (excluding albmf)
64%
5. Everyone needs to pay there way now.
7%
6.Give them nothing.
7%

Total votes: 14

exile

Re: Rich pensioners and free TV licences

Post by exile » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:59 pm

The BBC did not really take it away. It was the Government that essentially took it away, but did it in such a way that it was the BBC that had to take the final decision. Third hand austerity measures.

GL's salary would just about recompense those affected by about £2 per head. Yes it is a lot of money but as we have seen with other so called stars, stop paying these salaries and they walk because someone else will happily pay that or more.

Of course if we want all of these people to go to Sky, Netflix, Amazon etc and be left with presenters that may well be less professional and less knowledgeable and possibly less able to bring in other celebrities for comment, then so be it but it probably would mark the start of a slow a painful slide in quality and popularity. Then of course you end up with a really crap broadcaster for whom you still have to pay the licence.

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 pm

exile wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:59 pm
The BBC did not really take it away. It was the Government that essentially took it away, but did it in such a way that it was the BBC that had to take the final decision. Third hand austerity measures.

GL's salary would just about recompense those affected by about £2 per head. Yes it is a lot of money but as we have seen with other so called stars, stop paying these salaries and they walk because someone else will happily pay that or more.

Of course if we want all of these people to go to Sky, Netflix, Amazon etc and be left with presenters that may well be less professional and less knowledgeable and possibly less able to bring in other celebrities for comment, then so be it but it probably would mark the start of a slow a painful slide in quality and popularity. Then of course you end up with a really crap broadcaster for whom you still have to pay the licence.
I was aware that the BBC had gov't funding cut, but they still 'manage' their own budget. I don't think I suggested that Lineker's salary equated to the funding shortfall. My point was that the BBC still have plenty of guaranteed income and don't necessarily spend wisely. It was a typical example, in that millions watch match of the day to see football highlights, if Lineker left to a competitor, people wouldn't stop watching MOTD.

Archy

Post by Archy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am

My MIL who is 87 admits that she doesn't need the free TV licence nor the free bus pass, nor the free transport that takes her to the hospital for her hearing/eye/cancer checkups she says but it means there's more in the pot for her 4 children and their grandchildren when she snuffs it :shock: She then adds to that that she intends to live beyond 100 :o Mrs A.

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:28 am

There's something wrong with a society that can't lavish a little kindness on its elderly. I get what people say about some being able to afford to pay for these entitlements but old people are proud and won't ask for help when they do need it, therefore keep them universal.
And ban the TV tax altogether.
Gone, but not forgotten.