Cook Books

A place for some light-hearted chat.
basileus
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cook Books

Post by basileus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Mrs Beeton before the war version. Very useful information about servants duties etc. Apparently she couldn't cook at all...

exile

Post by exile » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:01 pm

I have quite a range of books as well as the trust internet and use most at least once during any year. Yes even Jamie! Probably the most used book is Delia Complete Cookery Course - but it's the one I have had longest.

Add to that a file full of recipes gathered from magazines/newspapers, internet, friends etc.

Probably the most used in terms of usage per year is Beryl Wood Let's preserve it. Perfect for Jams and Chutneys with some interesting combinations of ingredients.

The most used individual recipe is for lamb tagine from a source long lost in the mists of time. The original recipe for 20+ people has been scaled back for 2-4 portions and we make it 3 - 5 times per year.

Stompie

Post by Stompie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 pm

My go to book is a 1940s book my mother got with a new cooker! It has all the basics - scones, sponges, jams etc. It's now very battered, and a bit chewed after a now long gone puppy thought it would be a good toy but it's irreplaceable. All the most used pages are marked with recipes written by Mum so very nostalgic.
Hugh Fernley-whatsit's River Cottage book is very handy too, for foraged goodies.

curtis

Post by curtis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:21 pm

Mireille Johnstone's "A cook's tour of France" Pts 1,2 and 3
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:49 am

I have around 70 - 80 books on food, cookery and especially the history and culture of food. my oldest is "French Cookery for Ladies" I have the original 1899 edition written by Madame Lebour-Fawcett. Very sketchy receipts or recipes as we now call them but a fantastic commentary on the social history of the late 1800s. Cooking methods and equipment, social etiquette and kitchen management. One of my other favorites is my 1400 page Larousse Gastronomique again full of history and in depth explanations. My first cookery book was a M & S "Cooking Italian" in the 1980s. Many a young lady dined like a Princess on the great dishes I served up.

An interesting site.
https://www.historicfood.com/portal.htm

jsks

Post by jsks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 am

OH has so many that they fill 2 kitchen cupboards. One of them is some sort of textbook outlining all the things a pro chef needs - how to butcher a pig, all the classic dishes and sauces, utensil etc. Couldn't be more boring.

The best is an A4-sized workbook in which she writes, and has done for 40 years, all her own recipes and favourites. I keep saying she needs to get it published.