FRENCH FOOD

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Crazy Diamond

Re: FRENCH FOOD

Post by Crazy Diamond » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Catrose wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 pm
don't understand why the animal can't either be left at home or in the car for the duration of its owner's meal.

Dogs tend to be taken for walks by their humans, and quite often the walk takes the humans past a restaurant. So no car to put said dog in. Anyway few car parks provide enough shade to leave a dog in a car. If a restaurant doesn’t admit dogs then they could at least have a place to tie your dog up in the shade - which we will do happily. Our dog has been going to restaurants since he was 12 weeks old. He immediately curls up under the table and doesn't move, no matter how many other dogs there are.

I really don't see what the problem is. The dog doesn’t smell any more than people (and better than some of the disgusting cheap aftershaves we encounter), his feet are no dirtier than people's shoes, he makes no noise unlike unruly children, and he doesn’t touch anything or go anywhere near food. No different really than someone wearing a fur coat.
Oh come on, do you only go for meal whilst walking the dog - you can't go at any other time? I'm sure your dog is the epitome of canine good behaviour. Thing is, loads of other owners have told me how well behaved their dog is only for the sodding thing to snap or growl at me or somebody else for no reason, when of course the owner comes out withe usual "Well I can't understand that, he's never done that before." Yeah right. Not only that, if your dog's in a restaurant, under the table behaving, that doesn't mean he won't be targetted by a badly behaved pooch looking for trouble.

Restaurants "could at least have a place to your dog up in the shade" - are you serious? A restaurant's responsibility is to provide good food, not look after dogs. Several dogs all tied up outside a restaurant - wow, that'd be interesting!

If there is a choice between restaurants allowing dogs inside and one where they don't, then all things being equal I would always book into the dog-free one. I feel sure most other folk would too. However, I'm with you re unruly children. Along with their parents they should be banned.

Syd.
These users thanked the author Crazy Diamond for the post:
rabbit (Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:01 am)
Men never make passes at girls with no arses. - John Lennon.

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 pm

I'd always choose a dog friendly restaurant over a critter friendly restaurant. Can't abide critters in restaurants :P :P :P
I Never Did Mind About The Little Things.....
https://youtu.be/OSQR_GpCtEo

alittlebitmorefrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:41 pm

I don't go to restaurants because I do like humans.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:44 pm

People that book into my non smoking and no pets allowed establishment and try to smuggle Fido in really dont see what the problem is either, nor those who chain smoke and skin up joints.

I however do and show them the door.

I usually find out abot Fido when they have left him alone barking, whining, scratching the floor doors and walls while they eat at a quiet restaurant devoid of pets and children, I phone them and insist they return immediately, clear up the mess and sadly it has been dog mess and to clear out forthwith.

suein56

Post by suein56 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Catrose wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 pm
If a restaurant doesn’t admit dogs then they could at least have a place to tie your dog up in the shade - which we will do happily. Our dog has been going to restaurants since he was 12 weeks old. He immediately curls up under the table and doesn't move, no matter how many other dogs there are.
/quote]

After our arrival in the early 2000s in France I was wary of dogs in restos, simply by not being used to seeing our canine friends being allowed in eating places in the UK, but I changed my mind.
This came about after eating many resto meals where I had no idea that there was/had been a docile, unmoving, quiet canine under an adjacent table until the owners concerned rose to leave their table and said canine came into view.
The usually small, yappy, must-be-on-the-knee or, even worse, sitting on a chair or banquette canine, who is handfed by its adoring owner is excluded from this.
Most well-trained dogs here cause no problems at all .. but this is a personal opinion only .. other people's opinions may vary.
These users thanked the author suein56 for the post (total 2):
Simonflys (Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:23 pm) • Catrose (Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 pm)
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 pm

It's not great to be honest. The French have a high opinion of their own cuisine, but they are living on past glory. In terms of dining out experience, so much more variety in the UK where they genuinely embrace world cuisine. Obviously there is also a lot of rubbish to avoid.
These users thanked the author bluebird for the post:
rabbit (Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:02 am)