No swimming or fishing

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Nifty

Re: No swimming or fishing

Post by Nifty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am

From Fitter’s link I take it that stink bombs could be lethal.

Monsieur3seas
Has thanked: 0

Post by Monsieur3seas » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am

H2S is extremely dangerous and attacks steel containers/pipes vigourously. People working on petrochem plants where there is a risk of H2S leaks are told to remember which way the wind blows and when the leak detectors blow to run at 90 degrees to the direction of wind - could be instant death!

ajm

Post by ajm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 am

HS2 cold be extremely dangerous as well :D

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:10 am

Discussing two different things here? Japanese knotweed. See how serious the threat is https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=218.

Decomposing Sea Lettuce (Ulva lactuca). There is a clear danger from the toxic gas produced when large quantities are exposed and rotting but it is better known as a food supplement and is currently being investigated for compounds that might be useful in combating breast cancer.
These users thanked the author Aardvark for the post:
rabbit (Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 am)
Stop the world! I wanna get off...........

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am

3 different things I reckon as the aquatic invasive weed is neither one nor the other.

What is the word in English for the above?

alittlebitmorefrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:45 am

There is Algae all over the Cher as it runs through Tours. I guess it is downstream as well.

I read peoples dogs have died drinking the water.

An awful lot of fish have died around here too.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:58 am

Nifty wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am
From Fitter’s link I take it that stink bombs could be lethal.
It seems that they also release H2S - so potentially lethal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stink_bomb

"At the lower end of the spectrum, relatively harmless stink bombs consist of ammonium sulfide, which smells strongly of rotten eggs. When exposed to air, the ammonium sulfide reacts with moisture, hydrolyzes, and a mixture of hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) and ammonia is released"

I also seem to remember back in the school chemistry lab there was a strange looking set-up like three glass globes one on top of the other that produced H2S on demand for some sort of analytical purpose that I have forgotten.

Looked it up - a Kipps apparatus - I don't recall being told the stuff was toxic though! :o
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
Nietzsche

Dilly

Post by Dilly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:28 am

mysty wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 pm
Signs up on the lake opposite our house no swimming or fishing. Perhaps they need to pop in some clorine. :lol:
I take it the sun must be affecting the water.
In a fresh water lake, it's probably a proliferation of cyanobacteria, or algues bleues as they're commonly known. Our local lake has been closed for swimming for the last four years. The gendarmerie regularly patrols the area to warn people off. The water is crystal clear and very tempting on a hot day, but could have dramatic consequences on foolhardy bathers.

It's not the same thing as the rotting seaweed off the coast of Brittany .

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Near us in Brittany it is pesticides leaking into the water source from farmers overuse for years, finally it hits the lake and when we get the really hot weather followed by the algae forming it causes a lethal concoction, that kills the fish, very large carp and zander can be seen floating and rotting on the surface. The commune a few years back, dredged the lake taking water out and into temporary man made lakes nearby and then returned to the lake, it took 18 months but the situation is vastly improved, as I write no algae in the lake today and the weather conditions at the moment are the ideal circumstances to cause it, maybe it has worked.

No swimming in our lake for 10 years now but it doesn't stop the kids jumping in.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm
Near us in Brittany it is pesticides leaking into the water source from farmers overuse for years, finally it hits the lake and when we get the really hot weather followed by the algae forming it causes a lethal concoction, that kills the fish, very large carp and zander can be seen floating and rotting on the surface. The commune a few years back, dredged the lake taking water out and into temporary man made lakes nearby and then returned to the lake, it took 18 months but the situation is vastly improved, as I write no algae in the lake today and the weather conditions at the moment are the ideal circumstances to cause it, maybe it has worked.

No swimming in our lake for 10 years now but it doesn't stop the kids jumping in.
Are you talking about Lac de Guerlédan, AP?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen