No swimming or fishing

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

No swimming or fishing

Post by mysty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Signs up on the lake opposite our house no swimming or fishing. Perhaps they need to pop in some clorine. :lol:
I take it the sun must be affecting the water.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

exile

Re: No swimming or fishing

Post by exile » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:11 pm

possibly an algae bloom.

Veem

Post by Veem » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Or possibly a private owner who doesn't want some Tom, Dick or Harry making unauthorised use of their lake.

A neighbour of ours has similar signs by his lake. I think it perhaps has legal implications in that if the signs are there and anyone has an accident either swimming or fishing without permission, the lake owner cannot be held responsible. We have a lake too but no signs as it is remote and almost inaccessible for anyone other than another neighbour who also owns his own lake.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:29 pm

It's was algae exile. It's owned by the commune veem it's huge.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Could it be toxic algae? Two deaths in Brittany in the past week allegedly caused by the gas from rotting algae.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... wo-deaths/
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
Nietzsche

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:23 pm

They have dredged tonnes of the stuff out of a short stretch of the Somme Canal, been along there several times this week and in a 3 maybe 4km section between ecluses there are huge mountains of it completely blocking the chemin d'halage, it smells of the sea and is thick with roots and tendrils like seaweed but not slimy, there are warning panneaux all along saying its an invasive species and not to propogate it, then I saw a panneau on the other side of the chemin where a big section of hedgerow had been taped off and saw for the first time the famous Japanese knotweed, think it was called Japonaise renouée (reknotted), man that stuff is evil, like bamboo but worse.

Anyway in the time that they have taken to dredge one section it has become reinfested, I was going to kayak along it once cleared but its already virtually impassable.

There are probably without exaggeration hundreds of tonnes of this biomass sitting beside the canal, it will take a constant flow of tipper trucks or grab lorries several days to remove in which time the dredgers (wrong word, they are like floating rotavators with conveyors to dump the stuff into a barge) will have removed the same amount again to remove, they dont seem to be making any progress.

Next time I will make a note of the Latin plant name.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:27 pm

Fitter wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 pm
Could it be toxic algae? Two deaths in Brittany in the past week allegedly caused by the gas from rotting algae.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... wo-deaths/
Worrying Fitter :o the photos of the piles of the stuff look similar, loads of people run & walk these chemin d'halages, I led a running group through there Saturday and marked the course on Thursday, I walked it again today, to date the stuff has not started to rot but its only a matter of time.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 am

I wouldn't take chances with this stuff if I were you.
Joggers have died in the past, it's killed a horse, they found about 3 dozen sanglier dead on a beach a year or so back apparently caused by the hydrogen sulphide gas poisoning from this rotting algae.

I didn't realise that this gas - rotten egg smell gas - hydrogen sulphide - sewer gas - H2S - is extremely toxic.

http://medind.nic.in/jbc/t08/i1/jbct08i1p38.pdf

Quote from that report:- "The toxicity of H2S is comparable with that of hydrogen cyanide" - :shock:
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
Nietzsche

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 am

Me neither, I produce enough of the stuff myself to knock out a platoon!

Its not rotting or smelly yet, still green, some drying brown, I was pulling bits off to smell it as it reminds me of the beach, it will soon decompose and become a problem though, the water that has leached out looks and smells repulsive, it will be building up heat inside like a compost heap.

Given the huge volume of this stuff, far more than is apparent from the surface and that it seems to reproduce quicker than they can remove it I think they have a real problem, seeing some clear water from the right angle I could see that the bulk of the plant, its roots system etc is hidden below the surface.

But then for all I know they may have been dealing with this for decades, it may only happen rarely and under the right conditions.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 am

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 am
Me neither, I produce enough of the stuff myself to knock out a platoon!

Its not rotting or smelly yet, still green, some drying brown, I was pulling bits off to smell it as it reminds me of the beach, it will soon decompose and become a problem though, the water that has leached out looks and smells repulsive, it will be building up heat inside like a compost heap.

Given the huge volume of this stuff, far more than is apparent from the surface and that it seems to reproduce quicker than they can remove it I think they have a real problem, seeing some clear water from the right angle I could see that the bulk of the plant, its roots system etc is hidden below the surface.

But then for all I know they may have been dealing with this for decades, it may only happen rarely and under the right conditions.

Its probably not helped by so little navigation on the canal these days, like any service that has nothing to do the number of employees has multiplied, there are now something like 20 full time eclusiers itinérant driving orange vans when there will be no more than 2 or 3 pleasure boats a day in the summer season