Asbestos Roof - Is it really a no-no?

jardiniere

Asbestos Roof - Is it really a no-no?

Post by jardiniere » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:56 am

Looking for a small cheap house to buy and fit out before selling our present home (so as to make the transition as smooth as possible for my poorly husband) Needs to be plein pied and on mains drainage so choice is very limited at petit prix. Have visited one that could be OK except that it has an asbestos roof. The estate agent says it's not a problem - well, he would, wouldn't he! - and that unless the asbestos is damaged there's no need to replace it. However, the end part of the roof of our current house, above what used to be a barn, is asbestos and the heat up there in summer is unbearable. Are there any other disadvantages?

Fitter

Re: Asbestos Roof - Is it really a no-no?

Post by Fitter » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:48 am

Opinion seems to be that the sort of asbestos used for roofing, which I think is asbestos cement, contains about 10% of white asbestos, the less harmful sort, blue being the worst. Providing it's is not molested, ie drilled, sawn, or sanded to make a dust it is inert and harmless.
These users thanked the author Fitter for the post (total 3):
Aardvark (Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 am) • mysty (Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 pm) • Ally (Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:55 pm)
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 pm

I would agree with fitter on that. There will be a report done on the roof and they normally have it tested.
It is getting harder to get rid of it. Some tips do not take it. It can cost thousands to have a company remove it.
If you want to go further with the sale before you make an offer pm me the link and I can try and give some tips on getting the price reduced.
There are a lot of buyers who would not touch it.
If it is not in good condition the guy who did the diagnostics informs the prefecture and they can force you to change it.
There are still 1000s of houses with asbestos roofs in France.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

PatF

Post by PatF » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Our first house in France had an asbestos roof. a mix of asbestos and cement called Eternit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternit
When we put it up for sale I was worried this would put off buyers, but it sold quickly. To a Dutch couple.
But that was in 2006 when country houses in France were selling well. The housing market seems to be different now.

jardiniere

Post by jardiniere » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Thank you both. Yes, I'm surprised how many houses for sale with asbestos roofs, probably at the bottom end of the market which is my price range at the moment! I've seen a few ads that say Everite roof whick I looked up and is asbestos. The agent told me it's free to dispose of asbestos in the Vendée yet in the adjoining dept of Deux Sèvres, it's an arm and a leg. If there are no other disadvantages to an asbestos roof, perhaps it would be OK. Although it is dead ugly. :roll:

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Even if it was free to dump you still have to pay someone to mask up suit up climb us and take it down.
If it's not a huge roof you could always ask them to remove it and you pay to have it tiled.
If the wood work is good the tiling would be quick
Or if it's not covered in moss just live with it.
I have heard people being quoted 1000s to have it removed. FFS or one of the other French link finders will find out costs.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:29 pm

You need to check with the déchetterie that serves the commune that the property is in to see if they have facilities for accepting amiante. The few that do accept it will insist that you have a signed carte from the Mairie to use the déchetterie.

There is only one to my knowledge in my wandering zone of 12500 km2 and the people living there have to fight off unwanted friends with a stick!

alittlebitmorefrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:02 pm

mysty wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 pm

There are still 1000s of houses with asbestos roofs in France.
Tens of thousands of houses in France have them. Probably a lot more.

Would asbestos tiles it put me off ? Yes probably.

In your case OP, no.

You are not going to die of Asbestos poisoning from your roof.

OH's house in the Vosges has them around the facade. Hundreds of them. Like a lot of houses in that area.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Asbestos poisoning, a novel concept, what will they think of next! :lol:

Le Couvreurs Cookbook will have to be withdrawn from sale.