How long has this hot weather been in Dordogne?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
manonthemoon

How long has this hot weather been in Dordogne?

Post by manonthemoon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:49 pm

It feels like months, but it's probably only 3 weeks? I wish I'd kept a note of when it started so as to compare future weather.

Looking back on threads I see 23 June there were discussions about "the canicule". That's only 3 weeks ago.

Whilst I like the sun and warmth, mid 20s is my preference and I'm a bit tired of being dripping wet when I go outside or do housework. Is it an age thing?

To think 30 years ago I lived in the middle East and coped very well with the heat then. Even camping on the beach with no tent, just a sunshade was bearable.

Are other forum members coping Ok?
These users thanked the author manonthemoon for the post:
Shely (Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:47 pm)

Le Démerdeur

Re: How long has this hot weather been in Dordogne?

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Not as hot here but coping much better with age, weight loss might be the reason.

Noisette

Post by Noisette » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:05 pm

That's true. Thin people don't seem to sweat. But it is an age thing, as well as what your body was acclimatised to for 'x' number of years.
At least here, you can spend days in the shade /a cool house, knowing that the sun and heat will still be there when you fancy making the most of it :D
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 pm
Not as hot here but coping much better with age, weight loss might be the reason.
Yes probably, I think you're making a valid point.
Noisette wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:05 pm

That's true. Thin people don't seem to sweat. But it is an age thing, as well as what your body was acclimatised to for 'x' number of years.
At least here, you can spend days in the shade /a cool house, knowing that the sun and heat will still be there when you fancy making the most of it :D
Our house is so well insulated, it doesn't seem to keep cool, unlike a stone house like we used to have. It's a blessing to have a pool though to cool off in, although the pool temp is 30°.

Noisette

Post by Noisette » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm

That's a contradictory statement! A well-insulated house does stay relatively cool. One of the best decisions made when we renovated the barn was to put multi-couche insulation under the roof tiles. It's losing it's efficiency a little bit each year (because it gets blackened and dirty with age) but it still makes a hell of a difference! That and using the shutters. 30C in the pool? :shock: I wish! Mine's a brisk 23C.....
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 am

This year I have been really diligent with the shutters and keeping windows closed and it has made a real difference, a penury of customers to open them all again has helped the temp of the building but not my wallet.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Shely (Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:48 pm)

Veem

Post by Veem » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am

MOTM we are in Charente so perhaps not that far away from you in terms of weather. The canicule arrived here on June 25 (the same day as visitors came from the UK) and briefly left just as they did late on 29th. We went out for my birthday lunch on 30th and it was blissfully cool enough to eat outside. After that the forecast was for storms on Tuesday 2 July and the following day, but they disappeared and the heatwave continued.

Had we not had visitors and a birthday I would have forgotten the dates too .............. :D :? :?

ajm

Post by ajm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:31 am

Where we are in 49 we haven't had any rain since 12 June.

Plog

Post by Plog » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:59 am

manonthemoon wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:49 pm
It feels like months, but it's probably only 3 weeks? I wish I'd kept a note of when it started so as to compare future weather.

Looking back on threads I see 23 June there were discussions about "the canicule". That's only 3 weeks ago.
Can't help with the Dordogne, but given what we have had to the south of you in the Ariege I can understand your thinking.

On the 1st of June we had a max of 30 celsius, then 32 degrees on the second.

There there was then a bit of a dip for a couple of weeks back to normality with maxes in the mid twenties and even one day (11th June) max 14 degrees (and 8.8 mm rain)

Temperatures then ramped up again into the canicule proper for the last week of June.

Been up to 30 degrees again in the last week.

Stompie

Post by Stompie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 pm

We last lit the fire about 4 days before the canicule arrived, the temperature more than doubled in a week. No wonder we were struggling to acclimatise. Today 29° is feeling very pleasant!