What has piddled you off today!

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Fitter

Re: What has piddled you off today!

Post by Fitter » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:08 am

The fixed penalty for no insurance is not £100 it's £300

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/dr ... -insurance

"The police could give you a fixed penalty of £300 and 6 penalty points if you’re caught driving a vehicle you’re not insured to drive"

So it must have been some other offence - Sorn? Car tax?
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 am

Fitter wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:35 pm
mysty wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm
We had to re-register our UK registered car to French when I was caught on a Police number plate recognition camera when I was in the UK, as I had French car insurance through AXA but I did not appear on the UK Insurance Database so they presumed the car was off road, I had an instant £100 fine in the post and had to re-register the car in France asap.
So that's a good tip for brits. Do not drive your UK reg car in the UK with French insurance :lol:
Why? French insurance is perfectly valid in any EU country - the UK is still (just) in the EU - what's the problem?
This was about 6 years ago, I tried to argue but basically, British registered car, British Insurance if you wish to drive in the UK, all the UK motor insurance companies pay into a fund, to help people out if they are involved in a car accident with an un-insured driver, as part of that they insisted on the Motor Insurance Data base to be set up, so that all UK cars were either insured and on the data base of declared SORN and off the road.

Our French broker had all our vehicles insured through AXA. Two French registered and one UK. I even had a letter guaranteeing that I was fully insured and covered in the event of an accident anywhere in Europe from the broker. Never had to test if the guarantee worked ! :lol:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

exile

Post by exile » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:35 am
I had insurance in Holland with Ineas on my French registered vehicle for many years before they went bust, you may choose whatever EU insurer you wish to insure your vehicle if they offer cover in your country.

Thanks for that little diversion LD, which unfortunately could lead to some believing that buying insurance in other countries is permitted. The key point however is correct "if they offer cover in your country".

You probably do not have the paperwork anymore, but I would hazard a good guess that buried deep in it was that your cover was supplied by something like Ineas SA ( a French company) and not Ineas NV (the parent Dutch one). Although NV might well have underwritten SA's policies. So effectively you had a French policy not a Dutch one even if you thought you were dealing with a Dutch company.

That situation is quite analogous with say companies like AXA. You can get car insurance with AXA in the UK as well as in France, but the policies will be issued by the local company - AXA SA for French policies and AXA plc for UK ones. Only the plc ones will show up on the UK insurance database.

Incidentally Ineas NV exists once more. Bloomberg has this to say about them:
Ineas Insurance Company NV operates as an online insurer in Europe. It offers motor insurance and associated services, such as roadside and legal assistance services. The company also distributes general insurance products, including home, travel, and pet insurance products. It serves customer in Germany, France, Spain, and the Netherlands. Ineas Insurance Company NV was founded in 1997 and is based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands with additional offices in Metz Tessy, France; Cologne, Germany; and Barcelona, Spain.

You will note they have an office in each country in which they sell insurance - for office read company.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:51 pm

I dont have the paperwork any more, I throw most stuff away, I dont need to hazard a guess and it wasn't buried deep in the small print, they did indeed have an accomodation address in France but nobody physically there to talk to or to write to although some communication may have carried that address.

You probably realised that I chose my words carefully "if they offer cover in your country"

No doubt there will be others doing exactly the same thing amongst the web insurers, outside of insurance many UK companies have a French website selling their EU spec products (EU plugs & manuals) and if you didnt know of the company and the usually identical UK website you would think that you were buying from a French company.

The wisest ones set up in bordering EU countries to serve the French market with a French web site, thats exactly what Ineas did.

I do however recall INEAS BV being written prominently on everything, I probably have an insurance certificate somewhere and certainly a relève d'informations so will check.

exile

Post by exile » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Yes I worked for a company with "offices" like that.
No manufacturing capability in Holland but registered there as HQ for tax reasons. HQ consisted of one office (next door to Schiphol for a quick escape) with a secretary - when she was not on holiday - and a manager - when he was not travelling round the world on one of many projects.

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Getting back from a couple of days off to get a snotty email to say that if I don't ring back they'll find someone else, good luck with that & see ya, I'm booked solid :lol:

Ally

Post by Ally » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Feeling nauseous all day.
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

suein56

Post by suein56 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Ally wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:13 pm
Feeling nauseous all day.
Your wife isn't pregnant by any chance ? With you being the sympathetic and in-tune-with-her hubby ?
Or did you eat smthg dodgy ?
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Ally

Post by Ally » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 pm

Something dodgy. Final answer.
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.