4g Router

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
jsks

4g Router

Post by jsks »

After 6 years of execrable broadband we opted to abandon the land line and get a 4g router from 3 with unlimited Internet and it's £10 a month cheaper than fixed line broadband. Got the Huawei cube which supports Alexa.

Set it up today and we are now getting 30 Meg download, 15 upload compared to 2.5/0.5 on what was laughably called broadband. Perfect streaming even in 4k UHD with no effect on other connected devices. Never use the landlines anyway having u/l minutes on the mobile.

Got me to wondering if landlines will gently become historical curiosities. And when 5g comes in...

Le Démerdeur

Re: 4g Router

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Fibre optique has finally reached my village but the uptake has been minimal and the big operators like Free have not even signed an accord with the corrupt club of BIL's and mates that installed the fibre. Its only tiny players like Nordnet that are offering fibre connections at a lot more money than an ADSL abonnement, meanwhile the mobile offers and inclusive data allowances are getting better all the time.

I am coming to the same conclusion as you JSKS, not so long ago Free and the like were spending lots of money creating hardwired networks between cities, running beside railway lines etc, no all the emphasis is on 4g and 5G mobile networks.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:46 pm
Fibre optique has finally reached my village but the uptake has been minimal and the big operators like Free have not even signed an accord with the corrupt club of BIL's and mates that installed the fibre. Its only tiny players like Nordnet that are offering fibre connections at a lot more money than an ADSL abonnement, meanwhile the mobile offers and inclusive data allowances are getting better all the time.
The OVH Connect offer, which is just an internet connection, so no TV, etc., is for une connexion internet en fibre, ADSL ou VDSL jusqu’à 1 Gbit/s (débit descendant for 25,19 € TTC/mois. For 27.59 € TTC/mois they include two VoIP telephone lines with free calls to a lot of landlines worldwide and a fax line. OVH don't have their own network so piggyback on to whatever there is. In my case it is the Orange FTTC to the village and the SFR network. From a recent regional newsletter I saw, I should be getting FTTH by 2022/23.

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

jsks wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 pm
After 6 years of execrable broadband we opted to abandon the land line and get a 4g router from 3 with unlimited Internet and it's £10 a month cheaper than fixed line broadband. Got the Huawei cube which supports Alexa.

Set it up today and we are now getting 30 Meg download, 15 upload compared to 2.5/0.5 on what was laughably called broadband. Perfect streaming even in 4k UHD with no effect on other connected devices. Never use the landlines anyway having u/l minutes on the mobile.

Got me to wondering if landlines will gently become historical curiosities. And when 5g comes in...
Sounds great. Out of interest do '3' offer a refund if the performance isn't achieved ?

jsks

Post by jsks »

No. Not as such,but you have 14 days to return it and cancel the contract under the distance selling regulations.

Tom

Post by Tom »

The coverage of 4G in France is patchy to say the least. We are 2kms beyond the range of any provider. The only way for us to get broadband better than 1.2/0.4 on the land line is to use satellite or Wimax. The latter is just about OK at 6.2/1.2 for our relatively modest needs. :( That is the penalty for living in a white zone.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

jsks

Post by jsks »

We have learnt this evening that fibre is available for connection as of now! How f in typical. However, at £41 per month its almost twice what the 4 g router costs and we can tether to the phones if necessary.

Ally

Post by Ally »

A word of caution on 5g.
Ching chang chong.

#edit: those weren't my words

elsie

Post by elsie »

jsks wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:12 am
We have learnt this evening that fibre is available for connection as of now! How f in typical. However, at £41 per month its almost twice what the 4 g router costs and we can tether to the phones if necessary.
Have you checked out the OVH offer (it is not an introductory price) I mentioned above https://www.ovhtelecom.fr/offre-internet/ ?

jsks

Post by jsks »

We are in the UK. the cheapest fibre is with plusnet but that still works our about £15 a month more than 4g with 3.