Photo driving licence (UK) - is it worth it?

Flaneur

Photo driving licence (UK) - is it worth it?

Post by Flaneur »

I still have my original pink UK driving licence. I didn't bother exchanging it when the photo ones were introduced and I haven't done so since. I can't remember ever having to show it to anyone.

Obviously it's still legal and I don't need to change.

But spending increasing amounts of time in France, I wondered if I might find it useful to get a photo licence.

Has anyone any thoughts on the topic?
Same old nonsense.

elsie

Re: Photo driving licence (UK) - is it worth it?

Post by elsie »

Regarding driving in France post a no-deal Brexit, you will need an International Driving Licence (specifically a 1968 IDP) - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internation ... march-2019 That will then be valid for all of the EU/EAA except Andorra, Cyprus and Liechtenstein.
If there is a deal your current licence should still be OK.
Last edited by elsie on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Consider your travelling to and in France. You have a passport with your image that doesn't detail your address in the UK. And you have an old UK paper driving licence that has your uk address on it, but that doesn't have your image on it. I can only surmise that at some time the French authorities will demand that your driving licence entitlement can be linked to your image, particularly with the current Brexit upheaval, third country status etc.
Let's face it, the UK photocard was introduced in 1998 and it's free to update from the paper licence to the photocard so you may as well do it.

And referring to another post on the international driving permit (not a licence) you will need a photocard driving licence to apply for this at a UK post office - the RAC and AA no longer issue them.
"It’s easier to fool people than to prove to them that they were fooled"
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Would you like to take a bet on that? Or perhaps add "may" or "might" to your posting? Response to previous posting.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 pm
Would you like to take a bet on that? Or perhaps add "may" or "might" to your posting? Response to previous posting.
I don't have clue as to what you are referring to :lol:
"It’s easier to fool people than to prove to them that they were fooled"
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

My reply was to Elsie, then up popped a box to say someone else had posted (you) at that stage I could not see Elsies posting any more and had forgotten her name hence my reference to previous posting.

Plus it was on my phone and beyond my skillset!

One question for you now, you say no cost to change to photocard but the cost is in having to renew it every 10 years whereas the old pink (mine is green) one lasts till 70, that is what has always put me off, paying twice for something.

However we are all aging and I now fall within 10 years of the expiry of my drivers license, if I exchanged it would it be free and would it still now be valid till my 70th birthday?

If so then I have no reason to retain the old one.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

I think it's only free once you get to 70 (https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence).

£20 wouldn't be a particular problem, but I was weighing up the pros and cons at this stage.

I have never been stopped by the flics in France.

Maybe I've been watching too many programmes about chauffards :D
Same old nonsense.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm
My reply was to Elsie, then up popped a box to say someone else had posted (you) at that stage I could not see Elsies posting any more and had forgotten her name hence my reference to previous posting.

Plus it was on my phone and beyond my skillset!

One question for you now, you say no cost to change to photocard but the cost is in having to renew it every 10 years whereas the old pink (mine is green) one lasts till 70, that is what has always put me off, paying twice for something.

However we are all aging and I now fall within 10 years of the expiry of my drivers license, if I exchanged it would it be free and would it still now be valid till my 70th birthday?

If so then I have no reason to retain the old one.
Surely there is a big difference with you. Your current paper licence is valid until your 70th birthday and at that point, if you are still resident in France, you would have to change it for a permis de conduire. If you try changing it for a U.K. photo-card licence you will be told that you cannot be issued with one because you are not a UK resident. I know that you could just use smoke and a few mirrors and have it sent to your UK address but then, if the chips came down, would you really want to be holding a fraudulently acquired driving licence? If you ever do decide to apply for the correct permis it’s possible that you will be asked to prove that you were resident in Britain when your current licence was issued.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 pm
I assume you were referring to the "post a no-deal Brexit, you will need an International Driving ..."

That is the current understanding, see also (they've not updated the 29 March 2019 date) https://www.remaininfrance.org/driving-licences.html
If there is a ratified Withdrawal Agreement and a transition period: your UK driving licence will remain valid at least until 31 December 2020. Agreements on mutual recognition of licences between the UK and the EU will form part of the negotiations on the future relationship during the transition period and the Department for Transport fully expects there to be agreement on this.

If the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019 without a deal: your UK licence will become invalid for use in the EU unless it is accompanied by an International Driving Permit.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »