Prélèvement à la source

curtis

Prélèvement à la source

Post by curtis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Have just been sent this. Thought it may interest some of you.

https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/node/12131
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

pomme homme

Re: Prélèvement à la source

Post by pomme homme » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:45 pm

I received that e-mail last Wednesday. I presume that everyone who has an online account with the DGFP will have done so. I have to say that it makes a lot of sense for the French administration to collect income taxes/social charges at source. But whether those who pay these will be so sanguine about having to pay on the nail has yet to be seen!

Headers

Post by Headers » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 pm

I have written to the tax authorities to clarify how people like us who are only paid pensions in the U.K. will be treated. Can we still pay three monthly, can we pay as a household. We’ll see what they say next week!

Headers

Post by Headers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm

I have had a response from the tax people. They confirm that it is possible to set up a prélèvement from the bank account that you tell them, either on a monthly or three monthly basis whichever is more convenient.

Debra

Post by Debra » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:50 pm

I was reading about this the other day and only ended up confusing myself.

If I expect to have some French taxable income this year for the first time, do I need to let them know so I can start paying as I go now or will that be arranged after next year's tax return, after I have declared it for this year?

Headers

Post by Headers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:39 am

I think the change to tax payment will start from January next year. This year is a null year. From 2019 they are moving to pay as you go system. For most people it means deduction at source based on the monthly income as happens in the U.K. but for us pensioners paid in the U.K., that obviously isn’t possible, so the tax office will need to take money from bank accounts based on their assessment of what your income is. There is an opportunity to get the amount altered if you think they’ve over or under estimated. I have done this in past years.

Debra

Post by Debra » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:26 pm

So if I have French rental income this year, no need to do anything as it'll happen after next year's tax return? Or do I need to tell them about it now so they can start charging me as of January next year?

elsie

Post by elsie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:55 pm

The rules are listed in this link https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/part ... elevements

If you obliged to pay in installments you must make sure your installments has a margin of error of no more than 20% otherwise there could be penalty charges.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Mine tripled one year to the next and there were no penalties, maybe because I barely pay any impôts.

Its unenforceable, you might make all your money for the year doing a Christmas market and wont know whether it will be a good or a bad year.

elsie

Post by elsie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Chancer, that is in the past.

With more and more taxpayers being sucked into the prélèvement system in the coming years I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to program the potential penalty charge calculation into the other tax programs.

The government is trying to find extra revenue from lots of different sources and this could be another easy way, at least for a year or two, until taxpayers get used to the system.