PAYG French mobile

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
SP1DER

Re: PAYG French mobile

Post by SP1DER »

I wonder what bank Andy is with? Very short sighted of them to insist on a French phone . I am with Credit Agricole and a few years back I had a similar problem. When using my card online I was supposed to get a text security number on my mobile (French) but it never worked. After complaining I found that I was not the only one, neither French nor any other mobile worked with their system. Since then they have added a "world list" of mobile numbers so you can have a phone from any country.

I have a data bundle with my mobile from SFR (after a recommendation on here) and can't fault it at 10€ a month. If I used my mobile for emergencies (or bank) only then I would look for a payg option and not a monthly contract even if it is just 1.5€

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

SP1DER wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 am
I wonder what bank Andy is with? Very short sighted of them to insist on a French phone . I am with Credit Agricole and a few years back I had a similar problem. When using my card online I was supposed to get a text security number on my mobile (French) but it never worked. After complaining I found that I was not the only one, neither French nor any other mobile worked with their system. Since then they have added a "world list" of mobile numbers so you can have a phone from any country.

I have a data bundle with my mobile from SFR (after a recommendation on here) and can't fault it at 10€ a month. If I used my mobile for emergencies (or bank) only then I would look for a payg option and not a monthly contract even if it is just 1.5€
On the few occasions that CA require a security code I found they sent a message to my landline. I've never had a mobile registered with them so I suppose they use whatever number you give them.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Tried asking CA if my landline number would do and the response was "No - must be a mobile". I presume they only send text messages from my bank.

Franksgranny

Post by Franksgranny »

When we got or Internet from the Orange shop they made us buy a french phone so they could notify us when the engineer would call, I think with the sim which we haven't used since that once it was nearly 30 euros.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Andy72 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:33 pm
My bank has asked me to supply a French mobile for internet banking security checks. I only have an old U.K. mobile. Can anyone recommend a cheap deal that would enable me to comply without having to buy a bells and whistles phone that I don't need. Thanks.
Definitely le Clerc mobile which is run by Reglomobile - cheap to set up - €15 as I recall, just put their sim card in your phone - easypeasy to to top up, they text you when you are running less than €5 credit - you lose only €1.50 a month in fees, always connects, the best deal I have ever had on a phone.

We have this system with CA bank - it works, they text you a security number which you type into their website - foolproof and thief proof.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain