Amazon again

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
curtis

Amazon again

Post by curtis »

Have just had a mail from Amazon (supposedly) asking for my No de portable for security purposes. Ease of contact if mot de passe forgotten (but you would want to contact them surely) and to avoid blocking the account etc.
Anyone else had that?
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

b33jay

Re: Amazon again

Post by b33jay »

curtis wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 pm
Have just had a mail from Amazon (supposedly) asking for my No de portable for security purposes. Ease of contact if mot de passe forgotten (but you would want to contact them surely) and to avoid blocking the account etc.
Anyone else had that?
UK banks are increasing security with online purchases. My bank needs my mobile number to contact me, if necessary, to verify a purchase. Is this something similar where Amazon are handling the purchase online?

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Curtis.

Have not recieved an E-mail but when I was removing the details of my old expired card before they wanted me to give them said details for a verification a box pooped up asking me for my mobile number, I just shut it down but looks like they are looking for contact details in case of a fraud attempt.

I would hover the cursor over the e-mail sender and look to see if its a genuine Amazon address, even then i would log on in my normal way, go to the bit to change personal details and it will either ask you for the number or you will find a field somewhere to add it.

I am really reticent on clicking any link in an E-mail.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Two factor authentication is becoming the norm. The idea is to have two different security measures - something you know and something you own. The something you know is of course a password, but these can be divined. The something you own is a device that only the password holder owns. This these days is usually a mobile phone but can be a one-time password generator as used by some banks or a biometric such as a fingerprint.

There was once an idea in South Africa to use fingerprints as a means of ID at ATMs. The idea was to reduce the spate of muggings for cards and PIN numbers. Unfortunately the technology only resulted in the muggers cutting off their victim's fingers.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

curtis wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 pm
Anyone else had that?
Yes. I've had that one. They can get stuffed. There's no mobile network coverage here so no point.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: