Express VPN Problems

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
mik

Re: Express VPN Problems

Post by mik »

I think they just play a game of cat and mouse. I have contacted Express VPN support so will let you know if I get a reply

Hal

Post by Hal »

vic evans wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

I'm sure there's a logical answer but living where you do, why not a dish & Freesat ?
Be careful - unless anything has changed in the last month or so, iplayer on Freesat is still through an internet connection. They have been talking for ages about allocating dedicated channels in the 900 - 910 range for iplayers, but they appear in no hurry. But I agree, a dish for live viewing is far preferable to the internet.

Chris

Post by Chris »

The lounge TV is quite old ie not a tv with internet capability and is connected to an Orange livebox modem via a decoder with an Ethernet cable This tv is fine with the channels offered by Orange but no channels are offered with BBC programs (I think )
Can anyone with technical expertise offer a solution of BBC channels being watched via an Orange livebox and Orange decoder ?
We mainly watch the BBC channels on an iPad via ExpressVPN

By the way been pouring down with rain here the last few days and continuing today

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Satellite dish and decoder, I use a Skybox but any other digital sattelite reciever box will do.

v12mike

Post by v12mike »

Another solution, I you have some ability at configuring software is to set up your own VPN, running on a UK based VPS. I have done this a few times, and only been locked out of the UK channels when I attempted to use an ultra-chap (£4 per year) VPS that had a shared IPv4 address.

Chris

Post by Chris »

V12 Mike , I am probably equal to a stone wheel in terms of software ability , whilst your skills are up to a V12 Ferrari in comparison !
Probably stick with the ExpressVPN and it’s arms race with the BBC technical department
When the telly blows probably buy a smart telly with inputs for a satellite feed from a Sky dish , an Internet feed with an Ethernet cable etc from the Orange livebox/ decoder

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Chris wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 am
The bbc iplayer started this morning so I can only assume that the techies at ExpressVPN have responded to the BBC techies ?
Further assume the BBC techies will respond to the ExpressVPN techies and so on .....
Is their a solution? Or we just accept service will be disrupted at some times ?
Always going to be the case. Other options, put up with crappy French TV or move to the UK, albeit both a bit extreme ;)

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

vic evans wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am
Fitter wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:19 am
The BBC is obsessed with not allowing the likes of us to watch their output because we don't pay the license fee. Using a VPN seems to work until their servers find that the server the VPN is using in the UK to fake your location is used by a VPN provider and then you get no access.
I tried tunnel bear which worked for a month or two and then zilch. I am currently using Hola which will probably go the same way.
I'm sure there's a logical answer but living where you do, why not a dish & Freesat ?
My missus,who likes to watch catch up stuff on her I Pad, uses Hotspot Shield which she says works fine on I Player.
We have a dish which works I think - OH watches the TV - Personally I can't stand the bloody thing, and presumably we are on Freesomethingorother because we ditched the Sky subscription some time ago and just use the expired card.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

bluebird wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:24 pm
Chris wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 am
The bbc iplayer started this morning so I can only assume that the techies at ExpressVPN have responded to the BBC techies ?
Further assume the BBC techies will respond to the ExpressVPN techies and so on .....
Is their a solution? Or we just accept service will be disrupted at some times ?
Always going to be the case. Other options, put up with crappy French TV or move to the UK, albeit both a bit extreme ;)
Speak for yourself. Personally I’m more than content with French TNT. It gives me more than enough to watch including local news items, programmes about the country I live in and a good selection of UK and US, English language, films and series. Nothing crappy about it.

mik

Post by mik »

Just had a reply from express VPN which I post below.

Unfortunately, BBC iPlayer has been aggressively blocking all VPN providers. No VPN company that we know of has been able to get BBC iPlayer UK working consistently. We'll continue our efforts to unblock iPlayer in the future but cannot provide an ETA of when it can be fully fixed.

The good news is that there are great options for watching both BBC live TV and VOD.

Live TV
1. zattoo.com : Connect to any of our Switzerland locations and visit zattoo.com in your browser. Zattoo requires you to register, but it's completely free, and once registered you'll be able to access BBC live TV channels, along with many additional channels. See supported devices here: https://zattoo.com/ch/en/zattoo-free/

VOD/recordings
1. zattoo.com : Connect to any of our Switzerland locations and visit zattoo.com in your browser. Zattoo requires free registration, and with their free service you can record 20 upcoming shows (including BBC programming) and store these for 20 days each. You can delete recordings to reset the quota. Their paid service costs 10 CHF per month and allows up to 500 recordings and the ability to watch on demand all shows from the past 7 days, regardless of the recordings you set.
2. britbox.com : Connect to any of our US locations and visit britbox.com in your browser. Britbox is a paid VOD subscription service that carries most BBC content and is available in the United States. Britbox is operated by BBC themselves, costs about 7 USD per month, and does not require a US credit card to sign up (only a US IP address).

We hope that you find this information useful and can continue to enjoy the BBC programming you love, using the above methods. ExpressVPN continues to unblock other British programming sites like ITV Hub, Channel 4/5, etc.

I've run a quick test on the iPlayer and I was able to stream using the UK Kent server location.

Please turn off your iOS device's 'Location Services/GPS'.

1. Open the Settings app, then tap Privacy.
2. Tap Location Services. Here you can view a list of apps that have access to your location information, and a toggle switch to turn off Location Services entirely. If you want to turn off Location Services for all apps, slide the Location Services toggle to the off position.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding. Please let me know how it works.