Uneaten dried sweet corn.

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Tom

Uneaten dried sweet corn.

Post by Tom »

:?: Our pet rabbit won't eat dried sweet corn. Can't blame her because the grains are as hard as bullets but practically all the packaged food for rodents, even ones labeled 'fruit and nut cocktail', contain sweet corn. So we put these uneaten grains out with the bird food and there they remain untouched. No wild birds are interested, nor are the squirrels. Even the grains that fall to the ground are spurned by the moles and mice. Does any creature actually eat dried sweet corn or is it just used as a cheap way to bulk up packaged food?
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Le Démerdeur

Re: Uneaten dried sweet corn.

Post by Le Démerdeur »

This creature does, I buy dried salted and fried corn kernels from the arab market, love the taste and texture, its like a crunchy apéro snack, Netto recently had 1kg bags of it for sale.

Very moreish and very fattening and plays hell with my fillings.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Why dont you rehydrate them?

Probably most of the meat that you buy has come from animals fed on corn, I bet the intensive farmers buy the feed dried and rehydrate it or perhaps its all ground up into meal.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Years ago I bought a five kilo bag of dried corn thinking it was treat for my chickens. They wouldn't touch it. So me thinking maybe its too big for them to deal with I got a hammer and went to work trying to break it down a bit. I lost more than I produced for the hens, shrapnel flying everywhere so I gave up. Then tried an old crank top coffee grinder. Many a happy hour spent making my arm ache. It was a fine gritty texture but they still weren't impressed. I came across the rest of the bag a few months later and binned it. One of those useless commodities, like foot fungus and politicians.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Our hens would eat it. But I mixed it with mais concassee, which was a bit dearer. And melange fermier.
All from the agri-coop.
I think our farmer neighbour fed dry maize to his pigs. Then he collected their manure and spread it on next year's maize field as manure. Waste not want not.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 pm
Why dont you rehydrate them?

Probably most of the meat that you buy has come from animals fed on corn, I bet the intensive farmers buy the feed dried and rehydrate it or perhaps its all ground up into meal.
Yes - Maize is used to feed cattle, mostly milk cattle. What happens is, they grow a certain variety of maize plant that produces very small cobs, loads of it around here. The whole plant, stalks, leaves and the little cobs are harvested by a massive machine that looks like a combine on steroids, it chops everything up fine and the resulting "mash" is shot into a following tractor trailer and stacked in the farmyard, covered over with tarps with loads of tyres on top to keep it down. And then the cows get to eat it over winter when there is no forage, grass or lucerne for them to eat.

Next week's feature on newfrenchforum Farming Today section :- "How to grow your own spaghetti from seed"
Last edited by Fitter on Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had a disastrous attempt at a career change by becoming a chicken farmer, gave it up before becoming bankrupt, still dont really know what went wrong but its possible that I planted them either upside down or too close together.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:07 pm
This creature does, I buy dried salted and fried corn kernels from the arab market, love the taste and texture, its like a crunchy apéro snack, Netto recently had 1kg bags of it for sale.

Very moreish and very fattening and plays hell with my fillings.
Is that a clever play on words? If so should it be spelled moorish?

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

As much as I would like to do clever its usually a failure, probably a spelling mistake, I meant when you eat some you want more, I have heard people call it moreish but have never seen it written, its usually in French that I trip up.

I've been speaking to family and friends about having a coloscopy, another word that I learned in France and never knew in England, have only just found out that I should have been calling it a colonoscopy.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

OK, I see what you were doing now :idea: the arab market, very good :good:

Probably could have called it moorish until I found it in Netto, the Freekeh or Farik that I buy from there is definitely moreish and moorish!