carte de séjour Department 16

SP1DER

carte de séjour Department 16

Post by SP1DER »

I submitted my dossier for a CdS on 31 October last year and have not heard a word since. I have sent 2 emails asking what is happening and no response to them either. Decided today to inquire with the Consular Service to see if they were making any headway with the French authorities. Received this prompt response this afternoon which does not tell us much new but may be of interest to some:

The French Ministry of Interior are working on the system they will put in place to enable UK nationals living in France to apply for a residence card after the UK’s exit from the EU. We understand that a number of prefectures would rather wait for this new system, which will probably be less administratively burdensome, and we know that some have put applications on hold. With the extension of the Article 50 period, prefectures should (until our exit) continue to accept applications, give appointments and issue EU carte de séjours to UK Nationals.

UK nationals in different areas should be treated consistently and we have raised concerns with both the central Government and the local authorities when this has not been the case. We will use the information you have provided here to inform the Ministry of Interior of any persistent challenges as part of our regular engagement with them. We have seen improvements and greater clarity of information as a result of this engagement, but there is clearly more to do and we will continue to work very closely with them towards a solution.

In terms of the future process, we expect this to be simplified, including reducing the number of visits required to the prefecture, and prefecture resources to be boosted where appropriate. Instructions from the Ministry of Interior will go out to prefectures, but, until exit day, UK nationals maintain the right to apply for an EU carte de séjour.

Whether you obtain a European carte de séjour or not, after the UK's exit from the EU, all UK nationals resident in France will need to obtain a new type of residence permit relevant to their situation to claim their rights after EU Exit. This includes UK nationals waiting for French nationality and UK nationals married or PACsed to French partners. Please see the Living in France Guide for further details:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-france

Please do stay in touch with the Embassy channels (website, newsletter, Facebook and Twitter accounts @UKinFrance and @BritishinFrance), including following the Living in France Guide for the latest on cartes de séjour and the future French registration system.

DominicBest

Re: carte de séjour Department 16

Post by DominicBest »

I’m afraid I’m with the prefectures that have suspended CdS processing until after Brexit. There is no reason for them to go through the time consuming and expensive process of issuing a card that will have to be exchanged within a year of Britain leaving the EU. The, ‘I’ve got the right’ argument holds no water with me. The French Interior Ministry has explained that Britons will be able to go through a streamlined system in the future and that’s the way forward.

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench »

DominicBest wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm
I’m afraid I’m with the prefectures that have suspended CdS processing until after Brexit. There is no reason for them to go through the time consuming and expensive process of issuing a card that will have to be exchanged within a year of Britain leaving the EU. The, ‘I’ve got the right’ argument holds no water with me. The French Interior Ministry has explained that Britons will be able to go through a streamlined system in the future and that’s the way forward.
Didn't Chancer and I tell everyone that 2 years ago :roll:

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

alittlebitmorefrench wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 pm
DominicBest wrote:
I’m sure that Chancer will agree with everything I wrote, you’re right, he has said similar things from the start.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

I'm fine with that as well BUT their website still encourages sending in a dossier for an appointment in due course and it has not changed since I sent mine in October last year. It would be more acceptable if they just told us what they are doing. Why can't they just inform those who have applied why they are waiting ? A simple email would suffice.

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench »

A CDS was, and still is a useless piece of plastic. They were once mandatory but were still useless.

Don't worry about. Life is too short.

Just wait.

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

DominicBest wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm
DominicBest wrote:

I’m sure that Chancer will agree with everything I wrote, you’re right, he has said similar things from the start.
Chancer will agree with anything a mod says. Await the little thumbs up thanky thingy. :lol:
Easy to be correct in hindsight. Was it really that clear 2 years ago?
We've had our CdS for a while now & have found them very handy for things like ID when asked. My missus used hers twice today when changing ins. policies & picking up new debit card from bank.
It was a simple,no hassle, thing to acquire them & if nothing else, another good exercise in dealing with the foncs. I'm sure we're not alone in saying we don't regret getting them & as hoops jumped through it should be easy to change them for whatever supercedes but if by some miracle Brexit is cancelled they'll still be a usefull thing to have.
I

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

SP1DER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 pm
I'm fine with that as well BUT their website still encourages sending in a dossier for an appointment in due course and it has not changed since I sent mine in October last year. It would be more acceptable if they just told us what they are doing. Why can't they just inform those who have applied why they are waiting ? A simple email would suffice.
Whose website, the prefecture? They are "encouraging" UK citizens to apply for a carte de séjour? I somehow doubt that.

All people are achieving is clogging up the system and causing real and justifiable anguish for the current non EU applicants, not percieved anguish after having been wound up by self interest groups.

Yes I agree with everything Dominic says, it really is pointless, it always has been but in the earlier days at least I could understand why people in the absence of any concrete info from the French (who were working very hard on the subject) were taken in by those exhorting them to get CDS's and to exchange their UK driving licenses, now the French have done their bit, far more than the UK has there is no reason to get a piece of paper that is not needed, will not be asked for and that will in short measure become invalid and have to be replaced by the carte de residente using a much simplified and streamlined procedure.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

vic evans wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm
DominicBest wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Chancer will agree with anything a mod says. Await the little thumbs up thanky thingy. :lol:
Easy to be correct in hindsight. Was it really that clear 2 years ago?
We've had our CdS for a while now & have found them very handy for things like ID when asked. My missus used hers twice today when changing ins. policies & picking up new debit card from bank.
It was a simple,no hassle, thing to acquire them & if nothing else, another good exercise in dealing with the foncs. I'm sure we're not alone in saying we don't regret getting them & as hoops jumped through it should be easy to change them for whatever supercedes but if by some miracle Brexit is cancelled they'll still be a usefull thing to have.
I
You got your CdS when it was the recommended way forward. Well done. Other people in other departments have found it a very frustrating experience as it has been far from straightforward for them. The goalposts have now moved and there is no need to hold a CdS to survive the immediate future as the Ministry of the Interior have not only stated what will be required but also that the procedure will be streamlined. Those already holding a CdS are fine as they will be able to exchange it for a CdR with little fuss, those people who do not have a CdS now know that they do not need one as a stepping stone. Surely everybody should be happy.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Can I clarify a point in your last post Dominic Best? a carte sejour will not necessarily make everyone happy. If you are normally miserable a card will not change anything. :lol:
I am not one to normally pull others up on their English.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience