Burning wood pellets in a logburner.

Water, electricity, gas etc.
Typhoo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Burning wood pellets in a logburner.

Post by Typhoo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Not strictly utilities, but not sure where else to put this. We are fairly short on wood for the burner just now, and were told that the pellets were very good and worked well in a logburner. So, in case anyone else was wondering about the viability, we tried it out to-day. Bought a pellet tray from Amazon (50'ish eu) Pellets aren't the the best option really. Firstly, couldn't go out and leave it, once the flame starts going, within 30 secs, flame gone completely, takes about 10 mins to come back. Secondly, high maintenance - constantly have to top it up. Thirdly, expensive, we have used 15 kg since 3 this aft. Which amounts to over 700 eu for 6 months, and it's not that cold....... OK to have as a short term "emergency" solution. Just a FYI.........

Specsavers1

Re: Burning wood pellets in a logburner.

Post by Specsavers1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Like you Typhoo I did give this a try as a couple of bags on offer,same results as you not too great.
I just ended up feeding it in to give the fire a short term boost.

suein56

Post by suein56 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Rather than pellets we keep an emergency stash of the compressed logs .. about 4€50 for a pack of 8. Each log lasts about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. We put 2 on at once one time and almost fainted with the heat.
Edit : Better still if you can mix the compressed logs with some ordinary logs then you will have lots of warmth and reduced log usage.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Specsavers1

Post by Specsavers1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 pm

I bought 80 boxes of the compressed logs and split them with my neighbour,have used the od one to give the fire a boost of heat. I do tend to mix with my ordinary logs as you can go a lot of the compressed ones on their own, warm though!
My neighbor used about 20 boxes in a fortnight as he run out of firewood.

Nomoss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nomoss » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Moderators:
How about a "Daft Ideas" topic? :D

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Nomoss wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:25 pm
Moderators:
How about a "Daft Ideas" topic? :D
Which is "daft"? The compressed logs or burning the pellets in a wood burner?

Out of the two I would vote for the compressed logs - we spent our first winter here 2009-10 - the coldest for 30 years - trying to keep warm using the damn things, never again.

Burning wood pellets in a woodburner - not so daft.

There was supposed to be a link here but it disappeared.

I don't know what's going on here but I didn't post the above - mods mangled it?
Last edited by Fitter on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

joeblck

Post by joeblck » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:38 am

I use a pellet burner,a great device imho....I spent 550 Euro last winter a saving of 220 Euro for logs!
Would I have used pellets in my old woodburner...Never.They are designed for pellet burners.
These users thanked the author joeblck for the post:
Aardvark (Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:47 am)
London Irish.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am

Pellet burners are certainly efficient. Friends had one. Downside was the installation cost of nearly €2000, annual servicing cost, plus the fact they still have to lift and carry the sacks of pellets.
Using pellets in a woodburner is daft in my view, as I have seen how a genuine pellet burner very slowly trickles the pellets into the fire to feed it. No way to do that in an ordinary woodburner even after blowing €50 on a special tray.
Life: Terms and Conditions apply

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:58 pm

I have the drawings somewhere to make a grate to burn wood pellets, which I never got around to making.
We had to use the compressed wood bricks the first winter we were here - 2009/10 remember it? It was bloody cold. We bought a pallet of a tonne of them, and burnt them it the wood disposal unit in the kitchen - otherwise known as a Rayburn - amazing machine - you feed wood into it on a hourly basis and it turns it into ash without giving off any heat.
While trees keep falling over in our wood we'll burn those!
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Ally

Post by Ally » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Not a daft idea but it isn't a good idea. A lot of pellets will fall though with the ashes, unburnt. Been there, done that.
When a toxic person can no longer control you, they will try to control how others see you. The misinformation will feel unfair, but stay above it, trusting that other people will eventually see the truth.