Strange internet problems - version 2.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Fitter

Strange internet problems - version 2.

Post by Fitter »

I've reposted this instead of leaving it trailing on the original thread.

Our Roberts 83i internet radio went off it's head tonight. Not possible to get any audio, but the presets were loading and connecting so went to the menu, as soon as I did this I got a prerecorded message (in english) saying that due to internet/network changes i would have to load presets again. So, went to any old french station and it played ok. Laboriously searched out the favourite five stations from the world list of stations, got them connected and playing, registered the presets again, all ok again. What the hell was all that about? What internet or network changes?

Added to which - Before going to the world list I went to the stations I wanted on the previously listened list on the menu and tried to get them to connect - no success.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

vic evans

Re: Strange internet problems - version 2.

Post by vic evans »

Trouble is Fitter, the likes of us are more used to machines programmed by motor driven cams operating micro switches & coil switched relays. Stuff you could spit in the back & kick to get it going again.
If you're anything like me this 'ere new fangled electronicy stuff is all mumbo jumbo. :roll:

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Vic, don’t be defeated, find a “mommyfixit” :P https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -to-repair.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Fitter, I am not familiar with your radio at all but just wondered if this would help.

“Not sure if this was just luck on my part or whatever was wrong has been fixed by Roberts/Frontier, but i logged into my router and deleted the radio from my list of devices, then let the router find the radio again, right after that i went to radio to find station list is populated again.

Like i said, it could have been just the luck of timing that the issue was fixed at the Portal end, but if it wasn't then what i did deleted the radio from the router list and letting the router find the radio as a new device then made the station list on the radio work again.”

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

After the Storm wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 am
Fitter, I am not familiar with your radio at all but just wondered if this would help.

“Not sure if this was just luck on my part or whatever was wrong has been fixed by Roberts/Frontier, but i logged into my router and deleted the radio from my list of devices, then let the router find the radio again, right after that i went to radio to find station list is populated again.

Like i said, it could have been just the luck of timing that the issue was fixed at the Portal end, but if it wasn't then what i did deleted the radio from the router list and letting the router find the radio as a new device then made the station list on the radio work again.”
Good post ATS, I recently deleted all devices from my router and then re-installed them as if new items to discover and everything is working as normal, however I have an Amazon Alexa and listen to my local UK BBC radio station through it, however two or three times a day it just stops playing the radio, sometimes up to a couple minutes but I think I will just have to live with that.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

AngieB

Post by AngieB »

I found the following on the Radio Frontier support page.

On 1st May 2019 we experienced a major outage of the Internet Radio & Podcast service used by our customers’ Internet Radio devices. This was caused by issues with a third-party service provider that were outside our control. The service provider has also informed us that they are unable to ensure service provision beyond week commencing 6th May. Any such failure to provide the service would have caused the Internet Radio functionality on all our customers’ devices to stop working unless we had taken this remedial action.

I’m still working on it. Tedious, but I’ll get there. Eventually.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

That's a morning of my life I won't get back. The fall out problem hit me this morning. First job was to google the instructions for my internet radio as I can never remember how to do things I do not do regularly (calm down, calm down ..... not that!). :roll:

Eventually got everything re-entered. I was amazed how many of the stations I listen to are now Blady Blah One, Two or Three and you have to tune in to ascertain which one is yours.

Anyway, Oui FM Blues 'n' Rock is now safely reinstalled. I need my morning fix otherwise I might embark on the rest of the day in an upbeat mood. :good:

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

vic evans wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 am
Trouble is Fitter, the likes of us are more used to machines programmed by motor driven cams operating micro switches & coil switched relays. Stuff you could spit in the back & kick to get it going again.
If you're anything like me this 'ere new fangled electronicy stuff is all mumbo jumbo. :roll:
I'm pretty much ok with vehicle electronics having done some good manufacturer's courses in the past, but this bloody internet lark is a major PITA, why can't the IT people leave it alone if it's working?

The new definition of the initials IT " INTERMINABLY TINKERING"
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Same thing happened to me.
Go to the Roberts Radio.com website. Go to Support and put in your model
number, etc. I then got a message explaining there had been a problem with
the service provider Roberts was using. They have changed providers and that
is what caused the disruption. They say that some of the bells and whistles will
not now be working but mine is the entry level model so not too affected.
I first checked that I had the latest software version, OK.
Then did a full factory reset. After setting the clock and date I had to re do all
my presets but all is fine now.
Last edited by Aardvark on Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Just got this from Roberts Radio. Yes - the interminable tinkerer's have been at it again :o :shock: :oops:

https://www.robertsradiotechnical.co.uk ... ration.pdf