Problems getting my Daily Mail fix.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
curtis

Re: Problems getting my Daily Mail fix.

Post by curtis »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:28 pm
The pleasure of pleasing those like yourself
I'm not sure there is any pleasure involved on my part, but thank you for thinking of me 😬
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

elsie

Post by elsie »

I've just looked at the DM and don't get any videos. After a check I have discovered the extension uBlock Origin https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iagm?hl=en blocks the videos in Chrome (and also does the same for Firefox). I also routinely use Privacy Badger https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jlgp?hl=en

Those two extensions only really cause me problems (I'm using the default settings) on some web sites which require forms to be completed (e.g. a bank screen requiring an approval code to be entered). Most of the time they seem to do a good job blocking unnecessary advertisements, etc.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

thanks for that, I will look into it after I have got past the next few days which are going to be full ones ie no time for my fix :D

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Just looking at the DM site using Firefox on a windows 10 desktop PC with 26" monitor. There are some adverts getting through, but very few. The "Today's top video" comes up in the bottom right hand corner but is easily clicked off. I use Adblock Plus in Firefox and it has stopped 57 adverts on the The Billboard Awards 2019 page where I have been lusting over Taylor Swift :oops:

If your computer is fast enough why not convert to windows 10? Mine is several years old and was originally running windows 7, I updated to 8.1 then 10 without a problem. It only has 2gig of memory (max the m. board will take) but I installed a faster 1gig graphics card. Due to update to newer model PC this year sometime hopefully.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Crabtree wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 pm
If you are on Windows 10, there is an app in the Windows Store.
If anyone is on Windows 10 and reads the DM then they probably deserve it.

Crabtree

Post by Crabtree »

SP1DER wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:38 am
Just looking at the DM site using Firefox on a windows 10 desktop PC with 26" monitor. There are some adverts getting through, but very few. The "Today's top video" comes up in the bottom right hand corner but is easily clicked off. I use Adblock Plus in Firefox and it has stopped 57 adverts on the The Billboard Awards 2019 page where I have been lusting over Taylor Swift :oops:

If your computer is fast enough why not convert to windows 10? Mine is several years old and was originally running windows 7, I updated to 8.1 then 10 without a problem. It only has 2gig of memory (max the m. board will take) but I installed a faster 1gig graphics card. Due to update to newer model PC this year sometime hopefully.
Using Firefox (and most other browsers) this is the best blocker of ads and other stuff:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ck-origin/