Mesh wifi

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Hal

Mesh wifi

Post by Hal »

I am looking closely at mesh wifi. is anyone using this? I am very taken by the fact that the technology has finally killed off all the geek nonsense in IT - no more configuring units with ssids and mac addresses and stupid numbers separated by dots, and hopefully the world will finally be rid of the geeks that self promulgated all that stupidity.

I am sceptical though - is it as good as it says? How far apart should the mesh nodes be to cover a typical house on a 50x20M terrace?

Who is using what? Google seem to have the lead, but Netgear and Orbi are not far behind.

Interested in any comments please!

crakpot

Re: Mesh wifi

Post by crakpot »

No idea what/how this affects me so no immediate interest

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Your post appears to have been written by a geek. Please repeat the information in words that us simple folk can understand.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Mesh is simply a system, comprising a router and separate 'nodes', as a way of extending wifi coverage over a big area .. say a house/barn/building of more than 300 M2 with brick/stone internal walls that impede the easy passage of wifi.
It avoids the setting up of individual plug-in wifi extenders.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

At the cost of the things I'll stick with my plug in extenders which work perfectly well throughout our mansion.

Hal

Post by Hal »

suein56 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 am
Mesh is simply a system, comprising a router and separate 'nodes', as a way of extending wifi coverage over a big area .. say a house/barn/building of more than 300 M2 with brick/stone internal walls that impede the easy passage of wifi.
It avoids the setting up of individual plug-in wifi extenders.
Do you use a mesh set-up Sue? Do you have any experience in their use? Do you have any first hand info on their strength and any vulnerabilities?

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Hal wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 am

Do you use a mesh set-up Sue? Do you have any experience in their use? Do you have any first hand info on their strength and any vulnerabilities?
No, no personal experience.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

Hal wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:36 pm
I am looking closely at mesh wifi. is anyone using this? I am very taken by the fact that the technology has finally killed off all the geek nonsense in IT .

Interested in any comments please!
Hal I’m interested to know what you intend to install on your mesh network. Are you just wanting to replace your existing router and wireless network? There are many benefits to mesh networking. Friends in the industry tell me google is not the way to go. Read this article it is interesting and informative.
https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/ ... ed-2953740

Critically there in no standard protocols for device connection as yet so which ever mesh network you buy it might not connect all your devices.

chrisell

Post by chrisell »

I actually ordered one yesterday - Chinese brand. Good reviews given its less than a third of the price of the main players. Our internet struggles beyond the one floor - and work means the living room will be a building site for a while. Looked at the standard plug in extenders - thought wonder what Aliexpress has to offer saw this Mesh system - did a quick check on Amazon and bingo same price give or take and delivery in days not weeks.

Trying a 3 node pack - only slightly more expensive than plug ins and given coverage should be better I hope it balances out. But well below 100 for 3 nodes - Tenda I think. They're are unbranded systems on Aliexpress if you want to save another 10 or so

Not as fast as the big players and a few small niggles but excellent value were the reviews - and that was at a higher price than I paid. Our internet isn't exactly lightning - the Tenda will do 4k streaming so its not slow - end result I won't even notice the supposed slower speed given thats still the internet itself here.

It has an app - so that'll be fun - but as far as I can tell - set one up - set passwords - plug the others in and away you go. These create a "second" network - they don't just extend the existing wi fi - you can from the bumph control "guests" access speed etc as well

Can't feedback given its travelling to us

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

chrisell wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:40 pm
These create a "second" network - they don't just extend the existing wi fi - you can from the bumph control "guests" access speed etc as well
That sounds exactly what I need, excellent :good: :good:

Can these be harwired to each other as I already have ethernet cabling between the main router, guest router and the wi-fi repeater in my own apartment.