Do I need a smartphone?

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
TriciaF

Re: Do I need a smartphone?

Post by TriciaF »

I had a smartphone once, and I agree, it's like a mini computer with a camera. (I think that's right.)
But everything is too small for me, especially the keyboard. I prefer our landline and my desktop 'puter.
I do have a little fliptop thing for emergencies but it never seems to work.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Actually the sim swapping might work for me, will a smartphone work on Wi-fi at home without a simcard inside? Will it still recieve notifications etc? I know it wont get texts without the sim but I guess they are still there to be read if you put the sim back in it.

One of my biggest problems with the dumbphone is people that send me texts without one single word, they might be photos, videos, GIFs I have no idea because they dont (thankfully display) and I am none the poorer for not having seen them, its like having a friend who is not handicapped in any way but just cant be bothered to speak to you, they just poke you in the ribs, point at something and grin :lol:

If the above would work then i could cancel the second contract, problem might be with Whatsapp though as I doubt that would work on wi-fi without the sim in the smartphone.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Pat.

I have got used to the small keyboard for just typing a quick reply to a text or WhatSapp message, I struggle to see the letters printed on the numeric keys on my old Nokia now without searching for good daylight.

For anything else I prefer to use the computer, strangely I would rather use the virtual keyboard on the smartphone than on the tablet.

The camera is usefull to send a picture via Whatsapp, a picture can be worth a thousand words, my proper camera gets so little use now that it does not leave home unless there is a reason for it, I have a second camera in the car but they both get so little use that the batteries are usually flat, so in that respect the camera on the phone can be usefull but only for taking the photos that I would have before, not selfies or pictures of what I have been served in a restaurant.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:22 pm
Actually the sim swapping might work for me, will a smartphone work on Wi-fi at home without a simcard inside? Will it still recieve notifications etc? I know it wont get texts without the sim but I guess they are still there to be read if you put the sim back in it.

Yes to all the above.
If the above would work then i could cancel the second contract, problem might be with Whatsapp though as I doubt that would work on wi-fi without the sim in the smartphone.
Correct. WhatsApp identifies you by your phone number even over WiFi.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Oh well, I either give up something that it hurts me to admit is a usefull benefit or its back to the drawing board.

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench »

jsks wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:59 pm
alittlebitmorefrench wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Smartphones are great if you are a teenager or in business but for anyone else they are quite pointless and sad. In fact, they are very sad.

If I go on holiday I take the smartphone.
No comment needed.
But you did make a comment :lol:

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Smartphones are great !
mag.png
mag.png (98.8 KiB) Viewed 148 times

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I don’t think that everyone needs a smartphone but for those people who enjoy using the technology they are invaluable. I personally couldn’t imagine not having the information I use regularly to hand. Each to his own, I find it odd to hear the lengths that French residents go to get U.K. TV, that’s something that has never appealed to me but is obviously important to others. Thank God we are all different. What I won’t accept however is people who admit that they have no experience of using smartphones telling people like me that they are a useless waste of time, they might no fulfil the needs in your life but please don’t claim that you know best what works for me.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I dont like the way they have changed for the worse an awfull lot of people especially the younger generation but thats not the fault of the phones.

Another thing has become very very apparent over the last 4 years with my reservations, most are now made via a smartphone, people now never read any of the directions, information etc, too small, too much hassle, cant be bothered, its just a swipe and I'll have that, as a consequence a huge percentage get lost on their way and then blame it on me or will arrive several hours before or after my very generous opening hours, never respond to repeated requests to confirm their arrival time including texts and phone calls on the day, a couple just arrived, had not recieved todays calls and messages because their phone battery was flat, something I hear all the time.

My old Nokia lasts a week between charges on a 10 year old battery, fist thing people do when they arrive is unplug all the kitchen appliances to charge their phones when there are power sockets and dedicated charging points everywhere, never more than 1m from any position, both sides of the beds etc, then there is a scramble for who can be the first to connect to the Wi-fi, nobody listens to the welcome and handover, the essential details etc, I have had to hide the notice with the wifi code and only tell them after doing the handover, except when there is a family several of them will be screaming at me for it while I am explaining to the one person patient/polite enough to listen.

Never happened before and its a fundamental behaviour change for many.

Then there are the groups of young that go out together to a bar but dont actually speak to or look at each other, saw a group of ados outside the running club recently who impressed me with their multi-tasking abilities, 4 of them in a circle talking non stop to each other whilst furiously texting on their phones without ever looking up at each other.

And a great one yesterday, Monsieur cool rollerblader whizzing backwards down the cycle path (downhill) crossing several car park exits not ever looking over his shoulder to see what he could run into whilst texting/tweeting or whatever he was doing on his phone, and he was going really fast, much quicker than the 30kph limit here, a pedestrian, especially one equally abssorbed by their phone would not stand a chance nor would he have if a car had pulled out of any of the car parks, again probably with a driver texting.

It wont be long before the only way to decide who is not responsable for an accident is to find if any of the drivers were not typing into their phone.
Last edited by Le Démerdeur on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

I've got a dumbphone for those with failing eyesight, ie the possibility to increase the text size of an SMS, and my wife has a smartphone. Guess which is the only one recognised by the car's Bluetooth system.

I've always wondered why there isn't a camera with telephone capabilities available instead of a telephone with camera capabilities.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen