Windows 10

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Windows 10

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Mike wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:38 pm
The initial outlay to buy a Mac or an iPhone/iPad is what prevents me, and many others, from buying one. I just do not have that sort of disposable income.
If you are a PC user, how many times has your PC become obsolete and had to be upgraded or crashed, I have been using my Desktop iMac for over twenty years without ever having to do anything to it, its never crashed, never deleted anything I wanted and is still as fast now as it ever was, the same can be said for my MacBook Pro although only seven years old.
All I can say is, lucky you, Mike; I'm not in your position.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench »

Mike is correct...windows based computers are false economy.

My Imac has lasted longer than any windows based computer I have ever owned. I would have at least bought two windows computers if not more in the same time scale that I have owned my mac. So yes, in the long term they are cheaper.

My grenier is full of redundant windows based computers.

Enough !!!

I did mention that earlier :D

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench »

rabbit wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:51 pm
alittlebitmorefrench wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:28 am
rabbit wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:19 am

Apple has no presence in business outside the smartphone/tablet. Do you remember when IBM dominated the PC market ?
Hmmm...IBM I have heard of them :D

Anyone who truly wants a computer that works... buys a Mac.

My Imac is 6 years old and has not dropped a heartbeat. Free upgrade of OS system every two years. Has free apple version of Office. None of this Microsoft connery to pay for upgrades. No need for anti virus. Never crashes and it is beautiful to look at.

If I bought a Microsoft run computer I think I would have replaced it twice by now. Who said Apple are too expensive/not cost effective.

Don't go anywhere near Microsoft if you want a computer that works.
"Anyone who truly wants a computer that works... buys a Mac."

Big business does not by MACs other than for art departments. Think about the millions of workstations in banks, the government, the NHS etc and every big business, they are cheap PCs that run Windows.
Well that is false economy.

I know a well known global leading tech company where the top brass insist on having macs.

They also insist on their employees have apple phones for security reasons.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Mike, congratulations on keeping your original iMac running - it must have been one of the first if it's 20 years old, and PowerPC-based, OS 8 I presume.

As for the question of obsolescence ... if you're not running an up-to-date OS. I suppose all your apps are of the same vintage. While I wouldn't replace a computer just because it was old (I wait until they break), I couldn't do much of what I use a computer for if it were that old. Apps just wouldn't run (I use music production software, some video editing) and the hardware wouldn't cope.

Congratulations, still! I might just fire up my SE and see what happens ... :shock:
Same old nonsense.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Both of my macs are now on Mojave 10.14.4 and it has not cost a penny to upgrade to it, the same with all the apps on it, its obvious that some of you do not run Macs or you would know how good and stable they are, and that they do not keep asking for monies to upgrade. :roll:

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Mike, I'm afraid your memory is failing you, because it was only in 2013 that Apple stopped charging for OS updates. And you can't run Mojave on a 20-year-old PowerPC iMac.

(https://www.wired.com/2013/10/apple-ends-paid-oses/ is the link for the curious)
Same old nonsense.

Mike

Post by Mike »

They may well have charged in the US, but I did not pay for Snow Leopard/Mountain Lion or any other upgrade to my desktop or laptop, I will take a look at my desktop tomorrow to find its manufacturing date, but the laptop is Mid 2012 and I have not paid a penny in upkeep.

Mike

Post by Mike »

You where right, my iMac Desktop is 2010, I was sure it was much older, that's the trouble with old age and retirement days tend to blend into each other.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I do most things on my iPad but I still have two have three laptops from the early 2000s, two running Windows and the other a Mac. The two Windows machines haven’t cost a penny over the years and are still used when I want to use specific software, the Apple machine cannot be upgraded so is really only any good for locating music files and looking at photos.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Mike, you and me both - except I haven't even retired yet!
Same old nonsense.