Help re a French sim card.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Le Démerdeur

Re: Help re a French sim card.

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Crikey, I know its not going over a copper wire but calls and texts via the traditional routes use virtually nothing at all, streaming HD movies uses less than that doesn't it?

I have only used Whatsapp for messages and photos and the data useage has been negligible.

The one call I did recieve via Whatsapp sounded like they had their head up a robots backside and I kept hearing echos of my own voice.

jsks

Post by jsks »

HD movies use around 5gb per hour. That 5000 mb.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

When it comes to gigas and megas I am a lost cause :cry:

elsie

Post by elsie »

If you might want a larger volume of data than 50Mb/month I don't think the Free 2€ offer + topping up is the cheapest method. Even loading a newspaper web page is now usually about 2Mb. A forum page here is about 0.3Mb. I use Signal (and Whatsapp) when I have wi-fi but otherwise the Free call allowance is good enough

I think you will find there are other SIM card offers which offer more data for a few euro more. There are a lot of comparison web sites e.g. https://telecom.choisir.com/comparateur ... engagement - search for something like forfait sans engagement moins cher data

Hal

Post by Hal »

what irks me me more than anything is how all the operators allow calls to fixed telephones outside of France in their offering which is good, but including mobiles only to the US, Canada and China. I marvel that calls to mobiles in these destinations are any cheaper than into Europe.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Thats easy to explain Hal, if you lived in any of those countries and had a mobile phone then you would have to pay to recieve incoming calls.

I was getting muddled with my megas and gigas, looked at the data usage on my smartphone which is a Free €15 contract that I got for €1 per month first year and is now €10 per month, looks like I have set a data alarm at 20Gb so I guess thats the maximum on roaming or other networks because its all you can eat on 4G, anyway I only used 40mb, 50mb and 1mb the last 3 months except February where I used it continuously as a wi-fi hotspot for a couple of weeks in the UK and used just under 2gb.

looks like as you say for most people the €15 per month contract would be the one for them (dont think the 4G illimité comes with the €2 one) and its often on promo for €10 per month for the first year, I get a texto offering it to me most months, the last one only a couple of days ago, otherwise wait for the vente privé and get it for €1 per month like I did.

Hal

Post by Hal »

Aha - I did not spot that!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I get the texts on the €2 (free to me) line not on the €15/€10/€1 one, its upselling, if you drop to the €2 contract you will probably get them, otherwise keep an eye on the Vente Privés, Loopski always used to advise us of them.

Anyone know how he is doing?