Cheap petrol in France

Tom

Re: Cheap petrol in France

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Ethanol is the cheaply produced crap that destroy the plastic and rubber seals in older cars and garden machinery.
:lol: Ethanol is just alcohol. Perhaps Hal's sentence above could be rewritten... "Ethanol can destroy the cheaply produced crap plastic and rubber seals in older cars and garden machinery."
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

Hal

Post by Hal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Not my sentance.
I embrace E85 :P I have a car with 500 ponies who lap it up :P

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Hal wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:24 am
If it was E85 you put into the car and for a whole tank you did not notice any difference in the performance, then your car is probably a flex fuel vehicle (FFV) - I am surprised you were not told this - if indeed it is FFV - when you bought the car and even more surprised you have not been using it instead of 95 or 98.

Down here E85 is currently 0.669cpl - you cannot get near the pumps for the queue of Clios filling up...
I have a 2005 Alfa JTS, quite sure that engine was not designed to run on ethanol 8-) I would have thought plenty of people will make the same mistake I made. :oops:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Hal

Post by Hal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:25 pm

You have direct injection (it will be better on the V6) which is good and 2005 is OK for rubber parts in the fuel line. If you had no noticeable poor running, then I suggest you make a fuel blend using E85. Experiment using 3:1 and see how it goes. Save you the odd 70c per gal.

Most noticeable problems with E85 if the car is not mapped for it is when starting freom cold.

E85 is dispensed through a blue nozzle. Many mistakes are made but not such a fuss is made as it will not damage anything on an injected car, it will just be a mild inconvenience at worst that is overcome by diluting with 98. Cars with carburetters pose a more difficult problem. Also E85 is only available in a relatively few countries so it is not widely known. Laughably, it is nowhere to be seen in the UK except outside Silverstone, Brands hatch and Thruxton at £3 per litre (!!) despite the crazy Brits building a huge ethanol plant in the North and then discovered it cost more to import the grain from Europe and ship the ethanol out than what they would get from sales!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 pm

There is enough ethanol in standard pump 95/98 essence to harden components of older fuel systems, with modern stuff it's just the running that may be problematic.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Hal wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:25 pm
You have direct injection (it will be better on the V6) which is good and 2005 is OK for rubber parts in the fuel line. If you had no noticeable poor running, then I suggest you make a fuel blend using E85. Experiment using 3:1 and see how it goes. Save you the odd 70c per gal.

Most noticeable problems with E85 if the car is not mapped for it is when starting freom cold.

E85 is dispensed through a blue nozzle. Many mistakes are made but not such a fuss is made as it will not damage anything on an injected car, it will just be a mild inconvenience at worst that is overcome by diluting with 98. Cars with carburetters pose a more difficult problem. Also E85 is only available in a relatively few countries so it is not widely known. Laughably, it is nowhere to be seen in the UK except outside Silverstone, Brands hatch and Thruxton at £3 per litre (!!) despite the crazy Brits building a huge ethanol plant in the North and then discovered it cost more to import the grain from Europe and ship the ethanol out than what they would get from sales!
The EML light came on once but went out after the tank got refilled with 98. Today the car drove without any issues.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience