Common crane migration

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
crakpot

Common crane migration

Post by crakpot »

Hi

Please get involved with this French site and report your sightingshttps://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/grue-c ... ur-le-jour
Best wishes for the forum its I think the forth transformation great to post pictures

bluehighway

Re: Common crane migration

Post by bluehighway »

I saw an enormous flock on friday feeding in some flooded fields by the Charente. Magnificent sight when they all took off together.
I checked out your site and found that I'm right on their migration path in 16 and 86, so no surprise I saw so many.
Is it true they use rivers to navigate?

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

Hi
River bearings may have help in their migration, My only first hand experience of there routes is through a number of mountain passes here in the Pyrenees
I watched a recent BBC programme which proved homing pigeons used roads to find home so it could be the same system
How the Grue youngsters travelling South for the first time in Autumn to know the routes is amazing
Did you see one guy counted 19,000 birds in flight one afternoon in the Landes whilst I only saw 5,000 the same day in the Bearn but it was breathtaking the noise unbelievable just a few hundred metres overhead in less than an hour

CelticRambler

Post by CelticRambler »

I had an enormous flock pass by at just about 50m a couple of weeks ago, coming in to land (and feed?) at sunset just up the lane and behind the trees from me. Yes, the noise - until 3am :o - was incroyable

Strangely enough, even though the charts suggest that there have been numerous flock flying over this département since then, I haven't seen or heard a single one. :?