Définitions énigmatiques

Ally

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by Ally »

But there's a world of difference between a cute tiny Mexican dog and a semi aquatic reptile that could RIP you apart in seconds.
All orders were now issued through Squealer or one of the other pigs. Napoleon himself was not seen in public as often as once in a fortnight.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Where did the chihuahua come from, Ally?

Yes, jsks got it right: the opposite of 'found in cold country' is 'found in country cold', or with the appropriate punctuation, which cryptic clues often do away with, 'found in country, cold', ie found in 'china', 'chill'. I didn't really like how I'd written the clue and was going to re-post it as "Animal caught cold in the country", but jsks reasoned through my tortuous logic before I could re-post.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Tom

Post by Tom »

:) A few cryptic crossword clues can usually be solved fairly quickly but the majority remain a mystery until you have a number of letters from other words to help you. With this thread there are never any such letters available to give you a clue... can make it quite a challenge.
Here’s a good rule of thumb:
Too clever is dumb.
—Ogden Nash

FrenchForumSurvivor

Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:52 pm
:) A few cryptic crossword clues can usually be solved fairly quickly but the majority remain a mystery until you have a number of letters from other words to help you. With this thread there are never any such letters available to give you a clue... can make it quite a challenge.
In any 'blank' crossword that is always the case. Anyway, I think I've given dashes with a letter at least once here.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

So, what is the next clue ?

jsks

Post by jsks »

Wheelwright holds writer called Karen (9)

Ally

Post by Ally »

Carpenter.
All orders were now issued through Squealer or one of the other pigs. Napoleon himself was not seen in public as often as once in a fortnight.

Ally

Post by Ally »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Yes, jsks got it right: the opposite of 'found in cold country' is 'found in country cold', or with the appropriate punctuation, which cryptic clues often do away with, 'found in country, cold', ie found in 'china', 'chill'. I didn't really like how I'd written the clue and was going to re-post it as "Animal caught cold in the country", but jsks reasoned through my tortuous logic before I could re-post.
Where did the chihuahua come from, Ally? Where do I start with trying to explain that to an adult? Ok, there was a girl chihuahua and a boy chihuahua. One day when they was all growed up and they thought they knew each other well enough...

FrenchForumSurvivor

Ally wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:24 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:19 pm
Where did the chihuahua come from, Ally? Where do I start with trying to explain that to an adult? Ok, there was a girl chihuahua and a boy chihuahua. One day when they was all growed up and they thought they knew each other well enough...
Daddy, I'm not asleep yet, carry on with the story, puhlease!

jsks

Post by jsks »

Ally wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm
Carpenter.
Hah. A chip off the old block.

Your go.