Définitions énigmatiques

treiziste
Posts: 2182
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Tarn
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 365 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by treiziste »

Veem wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:50 pm
jsks wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:50 pm
It's static caravan but I don't see how we get caravan. Am I having a blonde moment?

There's an album by someone called Raphael whose title is Caravane. But that seems very obscure.
Yes Raphaël, (also known as RaphaÃl), sang a very popular song called Caravane quite recently. As Tom said 'unending', so take off the e. I didn't think that was particularly obscure. :? The first word of the clue 'Still' I thought would indicate 'static'. Now, I'm off to do battle with your soldiers ...............
So why was Raphaal important ?

Veem
Posts: 8606
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:23 am
Location: Nr Confolens, 16
Has thanked: 730 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by Veem »

[/quote]
So why was RaphaÃl important ?
[/quote]

Because that was how it was written on the link where details of him and this particular song were.

User avatar
FrenchForumSurvivor
Posts: 10029
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 pm
Location: Finistère (29)
Has thanked: 2215 times
Been thanked: 2381 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Veem wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:50 pm
jsks wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:50 pm
It's static caravan but I don't see how we get caravan. Am I having a blonde moment?

There's an album by someone called Raphael whose title is Caravane. But that seems very obscure.
Yes Raphaël, (also known as RaphaÃl), sang a very popular song called Caravane quite recently. As Tom said 'unending', so take off the e. I didn't think that was particularly obscure. :? The first word of the clue 'Still' I thought would indicate 'static'. Now, I'm off to do battle with your soldiers ...............
Raphael the French singer, from his given name Raphaël, isn't also known as RaphaÃl: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphael_( ... %C3%A7ais). And Caravane came out in 2003 in France, not recently, and is unlikely to be well-known outside francophone countries.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

User avatar
FrenchForumSurvivor
Posts: 10029
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 pm
Location: Finistère (29)
Has thanked: 2215 times
Been thanked: 2381 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

jsks wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:14 pm
Soldiers hold back current killers (5)
The only killers I can think of with AC backwards in the word is orcas, the whales, but I can't see why ors or even ORS, would be soldiers.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

User avatar
jsks
Posts: 7287
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: Lincs & N Yorks
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 3219 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by jsks »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:40 pm
jsks wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:14 pm
Soldiers hold back current killers (5)
The only killers I can think of with AC backwards in the word is orcas, the whales, but I can't see why ors or even ORS, would be soldiers.
ORs is the abbreviation for Other Ranks. It comes up quite often in the Times crossword.

Orcas is indeed the answer!

Veem
Posts: 8606
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:23 am
Location: Nr Confolens, 16
Has thanked: 730 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by Veem »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:27 pm
Veem wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:50 pm
jsks wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:50 pm
It's static caravan but I don't see how we get caravan. Am I having a blonde moment?

There's an album by someone called Raphael whose title is Caravane. But that seems very obscure.
Yes Raphaël, (also known as RaphaÃl), sang a very popular song called Caravane quite recently. As Tom said 'unending', so take off the e. I didn't think that was particularly obscure. :? The first word of the clue 'Still' I thought would indicate 'static'. Now, I'm off to do battle with your soldiers ...............
Raphael the French singer, from his given name Raphaël, isn't also known as RaphaÃl: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphael_( ... %C3%A7ais). And Caravane came out in 2003 in France, not recently, and is unlikely to be well-known outside francophone countries.
'Raphael the French singer, from his given name Raphaël, isn't also known as RaphaÃl'

Well, he was on the link I saw. :? Whatever ...........................

2003 is quite recent in my book, especially when it's still played very frequently on the radio station I listen to in the car. I wasn't aware of any rule that any/every part of an answer needed to be likely to be 'well-known outside francophone countries'.

User avatar
FrenchForumSurvivor
Posts: 10029
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 pm
Location: Finistère (29)
Has thanked: 2215 times
Been thanked: 2381 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

jsks wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:52 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:40 pm
jsks wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:14 pm
Soldiers hold back current killers (5)
The only killers I can think of with AC backwards in the word is orcas, the whales, but I can't see why ors or even ORS, would be soldiers.
ORs is the abbreviation for Other Ranks. It comes up quite often in the Times crossword.

Orcas is indeed the answer!
In the only book of Times Crosswords I have, not yet finished, I've so far come across RE and GIs for soldiers, but not yet ORs.

Work together to find the heart of rock, disco, opera, techno etc (9)
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

User avatar
jsks
Posts: 7287
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: Lincs & N Yorks
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 3219 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by jsks »

Cooperate.

(I must say, I'm so old-fashioned that I always write co-operate even though cooperate is perfectly correct. Some things just stay with you.)

User avatar
FrenchForumSurvivor
Posts: 10029
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 pm
Location: Finistère (29)
Has thanked: 2215 times
Been thanked: 2381 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

To change what I said to Veem recently, dratted man! Correct, perhaps the straight clue was too obvious.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

User avatar
jsks
Posts: 7287
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: Lincs & N Yorks
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 3219 times

Re: Définitions énigmatiques

Post by jsks »

In addition, poverty relief in scripture.(6)

Post Reply