DIY sweeping the chimney

alittlebitfrench

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by alittlebitfrench »

george wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am
alittlebitfrench wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 pm
You lot don't have proper chimneys :D You have metal ones :?

Wordburners...they are for place in the sun's :D

You move to France, buy an old house with a beautiful fireplace and shove a woodburner in it. :?

There should be a law against it.
Yes, but open fireplaces tend to lose a lot more heat as it disappears up that usually rather large chimney opening. Woodburners are more contained and heat retentive and keep the heat in the house, well unless there's some expertise about chimney building in colder areas of France that I don't know about ??
In our case, flue runs up through our bedroom and makes all nice and warm.

The aesthetics of an open fire outweigh the disadvantages. There is also the physiological effect as well because the smell and ambiance of an open fire makes you feel happy and warm. Can't beat one on Christmas day.

I have grown up with open fires. I could not live in a house without one.

george

Post by george »

Ah yes, I see, feel the same way about my old Godin, beautifully aesthetic with the flame fully visible
E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond »

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 am

The aesthetics of an open fire outweigh the disadvantages. There is also the physiological effect as well because the smell and ambiance of an open fire makes you feel happy and warm. Can't beat one on Christmas day.

That's it! You're droning on and on about the merits of open fires not because they're better or more efficient (which anybody with half a brain knows they're not) - the real reason you have one is so that Santa can come down the chimney to bring you all those Christmas presents you so richly deserve. Betcha leave him a mince pie and glass of sherry. You old softy!

Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Nomoss

Post by Nomoss »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 am
alittlebitfrench wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 am

That's it! You're droning on and on about the merits of open fires not because they're better or more efficient (which anybody with half a brain knows they're not) - the real reason you have one is so that Santa can come down the chimney to bring you all those Christmas presents you so richly deserve. Betcha leave him a mince pie and glass of sherry. You old softy!

Syd.
On top of that, it gives a house such a nice ambiance to have smoke-stained walls and ceilings, and life is much more fun with chronic chest and eye complaints :D

Archy

Post by Archy »

I have an open fire sometimes - I open the doors on the woodburner ;) :D

Squinch

Post by Squinch »

Is there no such thing as a hybrid on the market? i.e. A fully visible open hearth but with the hot gasses vented around some arrangement above to increase the efficiency rather than all the heat going straight up the chimney.
If not, feel free to develop my idea and make your fortune. :idea:

cj1

Post by cj1 »

Chancer wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm
Never swept a chimney but is it not a case of continually rotating them clockwise whilst pushing/pulling just like drain rods?

And yes, I learnt that the hard way :(
We did too, but that was with drain rods!

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme »

Can someone please tell me - is it more efficacious to clean the flue from the bottom upward or from the top downward?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Can someone please tell me - is it more efficacious to clean the flue from the bottom upward or from the top downward?
:lol: Efficacious... for one fleeting moment I thought this was a query about medicinal compound, which the French of course are wont to apply both bottom upward and top downward, most efficacious in every way.

Chimneys... I thought top and bottom tandem sweeping was only used when large flues extend over very many stories.
Here’s a good rule of thumb:
Too clever is dumb.
—Ogden Nash