DIY sweeping the chimney

Crazy Diamond

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by Crazy Diamond » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Fitter wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:54 pm
Yes been there and done that - lost the lot up the flue, brush,and about four rods because one of the screw joints came out of the plastic rod.

So, bent up a hook out of re-bar, welded it onto a piece or M12 studding and fished for it with the remaining rods, dragged it all down, got it out.

Went through all the rod joints and cross drilled 'em and pinned 'em with sel-lock pins to the rods so they can't come out again.
I never realised DIY sweeping was so much fun and can't understand why anybody would consider using a professional. In the past we've used a chap who has a dobbing great vacuum thingy in the back of his van. He has a large hose connected to the vacuum thingy that he shoves up the chimney, switches on the vacuum thingy which then cleans the chimney with almost no mess. Afterwards he relieves me of some cash and I get a certificate de ramonage.

Now I've been enlightened, I most certainly won't be bothering with "professionals" any longer. No sireebob, I'm off to the brico to get me a set of rods.

Syd.
Sometimes a majority just means all the wrong people are on the same side.

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vic evans » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm

I never realised DIY sweeping was so much fun and can't understand why anybody would consider using a professional. In the past we've used a chap who has a dobbing great vacuum thingy in the back of his van. He has a large hose connected to the vacuum thingy that he shoves up the chimney, switches on the vacuum thingy which then cleans the chimney with almost no mess. Afterwards he relieves me of some cash and I get a certificate de ramonage.

Now I've been enlightened, I most certainly won't be bothering with "professionals" any longer. No sireebob, I'm off to the brico to get me a set of rods.

Syd.
Ah! but how are you sure he's actually cleaned the chimney?

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 pm

I use a set of mechanical chimney sweeping rods and brush on a battery driven drill, just put a cloth around the rods, sweep the chimney and use a vacuum cleaner to clear all the soot it brings down, this is an example of one: http://www.rodstation.co.uk/?gclid=EAIa ... gJP7_D_BwE important to have mechanical connections between the rods if you want to reverse the direction of the sweep on the way down the chimney which is the most efficient way of cleaning.

Mike

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:56 pm

vic evans wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm
Crazy Diamond wrote:

Syd.
In the past (but not any more) we've had the sweep call round in the summer, once we're sure no more fires will be needed at night. The chimney doesn't have a metal flue all the way up, so the wood burner tends to perform less and less well toward the end of winter. I certainly don't examine the interior of the flue after he's cleaned it, but for sure the fire always burns better after we've been ramonaged.

Just as well I haven't left for the brico yet because as well as a set of rods I'll need an arc welder, some rebar, self lock pins (once I find out what they are) and some M12 studding. Can't wait.

Syd.
Sometimes a majority just means all the wrong people are on the same side.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Definitely, but I fear some may read your posting and not actually understand the reasoning behind it, they will use a set of screwed rods with a large brush with significant inertia driven by a battery drill with a spindle brake :lol: :lol:

alittlebitfrench

Post by alittlebitfrench » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 pm

You lot don't have proper chimneys :D You have metal ones :?

Wordburners...they are for place in the sun's :D

You move to France, buy an old house with a beautiful fireplace and shove a woodburner in it. :?

There should be a law against it.

Doug

Post by Doug » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:19 pm

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 pm

You move to France, buy an old house with a beautiful fireplace and shove a woodburner in it. :?

And if you dont line the chimney, put a new burner in it, you will be like the all olduns, sit in front of the great flue burning your legs and freezing you ass of.
A normal open fire is only 10 to 15 % efficient,, seal it off, put a stove in and it can go up to 95%.

alittlebitfrench

Post by alittlebitfrench » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Doug wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:19 pm
alittlebitfrench wrote:

And if you dont line the chimney, put a new burner in it, you will be like the all olduns, sit in front of the great flue burning your legs and freezing you ass of.
A normal open fire is only 10 to 15 % efficient,, seal it off, put a stove in and it can go up to 95%.
Can you draw me a graph :D

Ours is fine, it heats everywhere once you get in rocking and rolling.

You also get the benefit of the smell, the ambiance, naked flames. That good old fashioned open fireplace country feel during the winter.

If sitting on your sofa wearing just a t-shirt and underpants whilst watching a small glass window of your wood burner floats your boat then fair enough :D

I guess it beats watching Eastenders or the Bill :lol:

vic evans

Post by vic evans » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:56 pm
vic evans wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm
Crazy Diamond wrote:

Afterwards he relieves me of some cash and I get a certificate de ramonage.

In the past (but not any more) we've had the sweep call round in the summer, once we're sure no more fires will be needed at night. The chimney doesn't have a metal flue all the way up, so the wood burner tends to perform less and less well toward the end of winter. I certainly don't examine the interior of the flue after he's cleaned it, but for sure the fire always burns better after we've been ramonaged.

Just as well I haven't left for the brico yet because as well as a set of rods I'll need an arc welder, some rebar, self lock pins (once I find out what they are) and some M12 studding. Can't wait.

Syd.
'Chimney doesn't have a metal flue all the way up' sounds like an accident waiting to happen but as long as you've got that piece of paper that says it's been cleaned all's well....perhaps.
I'm sure your comments about DY sweeping were meant to be humorous but are you sure you're in a position to take the piss out of us DIY sweeps who actually do know their chimney has been correctly cleaned? :?

george

Post by george » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am

alittlebitfrench wrote:

Yes, but open fireplaces tend to lose a lot more heat as it disappears up that usually rather large chimney opening. Woodburners are more contained and heat retentive and keep the heat in the house, well unless there's some expertise about chimney building in colder areas of France that I don't know about ??
E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One