DIY sweeping the chimney

Mike
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 am

I don’t believe for one second that the sweeps I have met have a level IV or V qualification or have been practicing as chimney sweeps for three years prior to the passing of the decree of April 2 1998, but now we know that before you have anyone sweep your chimney that profess to be a professional you should ask to see their diploma, or they are of sufficient age they could have been practicing their trade since 1995. I have been unable to find a copy of the decree of April 2 1998 in any search on http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/ perhaps this is just within one department? nor can I find any reference to the requirement of a certificate of sweeping.

But I did find this on a French web site:

“This is the prefect of the department to which the future is attached chimney sweep who issues the certificate to practice the trade.
Conditions are necessary to obtain this certificate:
Soot formation: the necessary qualifications
Any person wishing to exercise the chimney sweep profession must, according to the decree of April 2, 1998, hold one of the following qualifications:
Level V diploma in the field of masonry, plastering, maintenance:
CAP,
SEN.
IV level qualification in the field of masonry, plastering, maintenance:
LAC
Professional BAC.
Sweeping Training: accession to the training without a diploma
Without a degree, it should be able to demonstrate experience of at least three years effective acquired as an employee or self-employed before the entry into force of the decree.

Sweeping Training: vocational training

Possible formation Details
The CTM – technical certificate trades It is obtained following a 2-year training in learning and chimney sweep can practice the activity.
The CQP – certificate of qualification It is issued by the National Joint Committee on Employment, following a training days
Without a diploma Undergo training spread over several weeks:
Training “theory of humbug
Pellet stove technical training and boiler
Practicing chimney sweep profession without diploma or proper equivalence is punishable by law. A fine up to € 7,500 can be claimed.”

Love the theory of humbug requirement. :lol:

Mike

tohubohu

Post by tohubohu » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:30 am

Could you post the link to the website please?
Mieux vaut être saoule que con, parce que ça dure moins longtemps

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 am

ALBF certainly isn’t the only person burning pine, it is the standard fuel in most mountain areas and does the job perfectly well. He does, I believe, use an inefficient open fire whereas most other posters use a wood burner of one sort or another.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:32 am

I burn pine my flue was fairly clean and had not been swept for at least a year and a half.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 am

My ramoneur phones me once a year to tell me when he is coming to sweep the chimney. If he thought he could get away with two visits I’m sure that he would.

alittlebitfrench

Post by alittlebitfrench » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 am

Mike wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:18 am

I will gladly concede on all points if you can link to the Government legislation and not a web site that contradicts itself.

Et voila..

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTe ... e=20180317

Your usage will dictate how often you get it cleaned. I have got through 8 steres this year so I need to get it cleaned twice. The law is explicit in that respect.

With respect to insurance, no insurance company will pay out without proof that you have cleaned your chimney by a professional. I just can't see it.

I have heard of a few cases in France where people have had claims refused because they have wrongly declared the surface area of their house. Also, there was a case where someone got burgled in their flat on the third floor but.....they did not enter the flat by the front door. They climbed the balconies. The insurance claim was refused because they had not closed their shutters.

For the sake of 80 euros it is not worth the hassle.

alittlebitfrench

Post by alittlebitfrench » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 am

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 am
He does, I believe, use an inefficient open fire whereas most other posters use a wood burner of one sort or another.
Woodburners :shock: IN AN OLD HOUSE !!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is worse than installing PVC windows :lol:

I could never live in an old house without an open fire. Christmas would not be the same.

I wood mind you have a wood burner in a modern architect type house. Maybe.

I would never ever buy an old house without an open fire. It is rule number one.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:31 pm

No, too impractical to have an open fire. I’m impressed by the amount of wood you burn though, most town centre house owners use their open fires for high days and holidays only. You burn about the same amount of wood that I do and wood is my main form of heating.

alittlebitfrench

Post by alittlebitfrench » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:31 pm
No, too impractical to have an open fire. I’m impressed by the amount of wood you burn though, most town centre house owners use their open fires for high days and holidays only. You burn about the same amount of wood that I do and wood is my main form of heating.
I'm not town centre !! Well I am but you would never know if you looked out the window. You would be surprised.

I have the fire running 12/7 and a good fireplace and wood will heat the house as the heat wafts around. Certainly heats the lounge/kitchen and the bedroom upstairs.......which is the same size as the kitchen and the lounge....obviously.

The smell and ambiance of an open fire negates its inefficiency.

Our last house (rural) had an open fire and a poele beneath it. It also had a pump which allowed to pump the hot air from the cinders of the poele to other parts of the house. Best of both worlds. You could run that 24/7.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Your link is to old legislation 1979 and only applies to Paris: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTe ... e=20180317

But then we have: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCo ... ieLien=cid

Article L2213-26
Created by Law 96-142 1996-02-21 jorf 24 February 1996
The mayor prescribes that the cleaning of furnaces, furnaces and chimneys of houses, factories, etc., must be carried out at least once a year.

He orders, if necessary, the repair or, if necessary, the demolition of ovens, furnaces and chimneys whose state of disrepair would cause fear of fire or other accidents.

Mike
Last edited by Mike on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.