DIY sweeping the chimney

Post Reply
User avatar
mysty
Posts: 7099
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Location: dep18 and 23
Has thanked: 534 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by mysty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Chancer wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm
Never swept a chimney but is it not a case of continually rotating them clockwise whilst pushing/pulling just like drain rods?

And yes, I learnt that the hard way :(
At least when I got stuck in the chimney pipe I could dismantle it to recover the brush head try doing that with a bog pipe, not so easy. :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Mike
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am

This came up often on FE, and the over riding facts are: The French legislation leaves the amount of times any chimney has to be swept at the discretion of the mayor of your commune, there is no law saying how many times per year or any minimum, the legislation also states that anyone offering their service's as a chimney sweep must have a Government Diploma, how may of you have asked to see this?

If anyone wants to argue these facts, find the legislation that states otherwise and post it on here, I already did this on FE.

Mike
Last edited by Mike on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CelticRambler
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by CelticRambler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:36 am

I've always found using small children much better. Their heads don't tend to come loose, and if ever they get stuck, they invariably work their way out themselves, sooner or later. 8-)

alteza
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by alteza » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 am

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm
This thread will be closed very soon :D

We get our chimney swept twice a year (WHICH YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO....don't say otherwise) by a young guy who set up his own business. When he first started he was on his own working in our area. He now employs/in partnership with others and covers about 4-6 other departments in France. All the way up to Brittany and down to Charente.


Support your local businesses you tight arsêd brits :good:

I am happy to pay...and I get a little piece of paper that makes our insurance company very happy. ;)
Why do you say "we" when it is only you burning pine??

After the Storm
Posts: 4716
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:12 pm
Location: Where Mysty is.
Has thanked: 1632 times
Been thanked: 1207 times

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by After the Storm » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:41 am

alteza wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 am
alittlebitfrench wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm
This thread will be closed very soon :D

We get our chimney swept twice a year (WHICH YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO....don't say otherwise) by a young guy who set up his own business. When he first started he was on his own working in our area. He now employs/in partnership with others and covers about 4-6 other departments in France. All the way up to Brittany and down to Charente.


Support your local businesses you tight arsêd brits :good:

I am happy to pay...and I get a little piece of paper that makes our insurance company very happy. ;)
Why do you say "we" when it is only you burning pine??
Maybe because he doesn’t live alone and those of us that don’t live alone quite often say “we”, simple really.
In the parallel universe inhabited by Brexiteers rationality and logic are increasingly inverted if not outright subverted.

alteza
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by alteza » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:52 am

After the Storm wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:41 am
alteza wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 am
alittlebitfrench wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm
This thread will be closed very soon :D

We get our chimney swept twice a year (WHICH YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO....don't say otherwise) by a young guy who set up his own business. When he first started he was on his own working in our area. He now employs/in partnership with others and covers about 4-6 other departments in France. All the way up to Brittany and down to Charente.


Support your local businesses you tight arsêd brits :good:

I am happy to pay...and I get a little piece of paper that makes our insurance company very happy. ;)
Why do you say "we" when it is only you burning pine??
Maybe because he doesn’t live alone and those of us that don’t live alone quite often say “we”, simple really.
You shouldn't count cats as people or even we..

After the Storm
Posts: 4716
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:12 pm
Location: Where Mysty is.
Has thanked: 1632 times
Been thanked: 1207 times

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by After the Storm » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:54 am

alteza wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:52 am
After the Storm wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:41 am
alteza wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 am


Why do you say "we" when it is only you burning pine??
Maybe because he doesn’t live alone and those of us that don’t live alone quite often say “we”, simple really.
You shouldn't cats as people or even we..
...?
In the parallel universe inhabited by Brexiteers rationality and logic are increasingly inverted if not outright subverted.

User avatar
CelticRambler
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by CelticRambler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:05 am

alteza wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:52 am
After the Storm wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:41 am
alteza wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 am


Why do you say "we" when it is only you burning pine??
Maybe because he doesn’t live alone and those of us that don’t live alone quite often say “we”, simple really.
You shouldn't count cats as people or even we..
Sounds like you need to put that bottle away and go count some sheep ... Image

alittlebitfrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by alittlebitfrench » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:27 am

Mike wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am
This came up often on FE, and the over riding facts are: The French legislation leaves the amount of times any chimney has to be swept at the discretion of the mayor of your commune, there is no law saying how many times per year or any minimum, the legislation also states that anyone offering their service's as a chimney sweep must have a Government Diploma, how may of you have asked to see this?

If anyone wants to argue these facts, find the legislation that states otherwise and post it on here, I already did this on FE.

Mike
Here you go... :D

https://ramonage.ooreka.fr/comprendre/r ... n-ramonage

The law is quite explicit on this subject.....twice per year.

How much wood do you get through each year Mike ? Some communes say you can do it once a year but that relates to how much wood you burn. So less than 3 steres. Which is not much.

You can clean your own chimney. But you still need to have it done by a professional at least once a year. :D

The last paragraph in the link is the most in important...

Mike
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:18 am

Your link is not to the legislation, but to a site that contradicts itself, it supports both of our statements.

"The number of annual sweeps is sometimes regulated by your municipality or by your insurer:

Number of annual sweeps Wood consumption
1 annual sweeping <5 strings of wood
2 annual sweeps > 5-string wooden
This regulation varies according to the departments: consult the site of your prefecture for more information."

"Homeowners and tenants of living quarters and professionals are required to have their broom swept twice a year , at least once during the period of use. Only social conduits, cased ducts and ducts that have never been used for the evacuation of the products of the combustion of other fuels serving appliances supplied with gaseous fuels may be swept only once a year. Art 37 and 40 of the Police Ordinance of May 5, 1974."

This is an ordinance issued by the police force who are a member of the armed force's in France, therefore a recommendation and not Law issued by the French Government as a Statute.

I will gladly concede on all points if you can link to the Government legislation and not a web site that contradicts itself.

I have spoken to our insurance underwriters and they do not/will not require to see any certificates of any type in substantiation of a claim.

Found it; https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCo ... ieLien=cid I concede that you have to sweep once a year, but as I said earlier any additional sweeping is dictated by your local mayor.

This makes interesting reading: https://www.insurance.fr/blog/time-sweep-chimney

Mike

Post Reply