DIY sweeping the chimney

mysty

DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by mysty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Did ours today after the pipe was glowing a couple of days ago. There was not that much soot but the bricodepot sweep brush fell apart half way up. So what should have been an easy job turned into a mess. Dismantled the pipe from the inside and got my brush back. Large hole now in my fire proof board on the chimney but its now clean. Get a pro next time.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

alittlebitfrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY sweeping the chimney

Post by alittlebitfrench » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

This thread will be closed very soon :D

We get our chimney swept twice a year (WHICH YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO....don't say otherwise) by a young guy who set up his own business. When he first started he was on his own working in our area. He now employs/in partnership with others and covers about 4-6 other departments in France. All the way up to Brittany and down to Charente.

Support your local businesses you tight arsêd brits :good:

I am happy to pay...and I get a little piece of paper that makes our insurance company very happy. ;)

elsie

Post by elsie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm

The brushes I have seen have a ring on top (so it can be pulled through?) If it has, next time attach a wire and you will be able to retrieve it more easily ;)

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 pm

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

We get our chimney swept twice a year (WHICH YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO....don't say otherwise) by a young guy who set up his own business. When he first started he was on his own working in our area. He now employs/in partnership with others and covers about 4-6 other departments in France. All the way up to Brittany and down to Charente.

I am happy to pay...and I get a little piece of paper that makes our insurance company very happy. ;)
Once you’ve burned that pine tree you will probably need a third sweep.

alittlebitfrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alittlebitfrench » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:51 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 pm
alittlebitfrench wrote:

Once you’ve burned that pine tree you will probably need a third sweep.
Not unless you burn them vertically ;) Work that one out !!!

I learnt that today :)

mysty

Post by mysty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm

elsie wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm
The brushes I have seen have a ring on top (so it can be pulled through?) If it has, next time attach a wire and you will be able to retrieve it more easily ;)
That would have helped, it was the joints in the rods that separated but your suggestion would still have brought it back down, next time. Thanks

mysty

Post by mysty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:58 pm

alittlebitfrench wrote:

We have used a pro before but not at this house, budget cuts :lol:

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Yes been there and done that - lost the lot up the flue, brush,and about four rods because one of the screw joints came out of the plastic rod.

So, bent up a hook out of re-bar, welded it onto a piece or M12 studding and fished for it with the remaining rods, dragged it all down, got it out.

Went through all the rod joints and cross drilled 'em and pinned 'em with sel-lock pins to the rods so they can't come out again.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Never swept a chimney but is it not a case of continually rotating them clockwise whilst pushing/pulling just like drain rods?

And yes, I learnt that the hard way :(

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Yes it is - but in my case one of the plastic male M12 threaded stubs came out of where it is pushed into the plastic rod, hence drilling and pinning all the male and female threaded ends to the rods.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton