Things that go bump in the night?

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
F Flinstone

Things that go bump in the night?

Post by F Flinstone »

I know this has been mentioned before, however I seem to have a strange problem. We have mice, in the kitchen and the garage and in the ceiling of our downstairs bedroom, I can trap the ones in the kitchen and garage fairly frequently, however the one in the ceiling no :? I assume it will hunt around the house for food so eventually will find a peanut butter snack, its nocturnal, which means that its humans time for bed and sleep :roll: I cannot get to put a trap in the void unless I make a big hole in the upstairs floor. Thats the first problem, in the lounge area, single storey, we have something bigger and nosier that moves around from dusk onwards, it could be a Loir, but it sounds to be bigger, there was a fight up there in the summer months, we thought the ceiling would come down :shock: . We have no trees within 15mts, but the house in still in a render and there is no membrane under the tiles, so perhaps one of the Martins? have seen one down the lane one summer evening but they are large animals, the reason I think it could be is that when it walks on the plasterboard ceiling I can hear its claws as it walks.From what I can find out the Loir hibernates, so it not likely to be one of them or could it? This morning one of the mousetraps "Little snapper" type had disappeared from the garage :shock: could not find it or its victim anywhere, so not a mouse, a rat perhaps, I have put down the cage type trap baited with dog food but no bites yet!. Do they have pest exterminators in France, and what do they call them? Whats your opinion? Thanks Ff

Le Démerdeur

Re: Things that go bump in the night?

Post by Le Démerdeur »

had the same and despite the noises like yours it turned out to be a huge rat, I saw it a couple of times, it was trying and succeeding to break into where there was food, so eventually I found briquettes of soup in my kitchen cupboards chewed through, then it broke through into my workshop where I have the armageddon stock of dried foodstuffs, I kept blocking the access hole with mousse but he would chew through in a couple of hours, even when I used expanded metal mesh, he also got into the VMC (kitchen smell probably attracted it) what I thought was an arcing sound for the electric was in fact him opening up the 40mm calibrated holes up to 80mm to let his huge body through, shame he was not shredded by the fan :lol:

Eventually poisoned bait by the foodstuffs in the workshop killed him/her but it died somewhere above the ceiling or behind the doublage, there was a terrible smell for a couple of weeks.

I have bought a taser type electrocution trap and will try it if another gets in but otherwise its poison every time for me.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

FF - it could be a variety of creatures, and many of them can do a lot of damage . Chewing electric wiring, water pipes etc. Especially in winter when food is scarce outside.
A stray cat had her kittens in the roof space just above our bed. What a noise! They were there for a few days.
Still can't work out how she got in there.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

We had a quiet winter last year without any activity so thought we had controlled the problem.

However, 3 nights ago the knawing/scratching started again and sounded like they were in the wardrobe, so we've had 3 nights of hardly any sleep.

Today I took the wardrobe drawers out and found just a few mice droppings in the drawers. The wardrobe is against an external wall so I assume they're in the cavity wall. However we couldn't find any sign of damage or chewing so I have no idea how the droppings got into the drawers.

It's driving me nuts! The blighters are easier to catch if you can see them, and the worse thing is we have 4 cats.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

The most embarrassing invader we had was,( I think), a campagnol. It lived in our kitchen, We had visitors and the man was fussy about hygeine, so he checked all the high up shelves which I'd missed. And found some large droppings, much bigger than from mice. Oh dear.
Just after they left I saw the bonny little fellow, sitting on the kitchen floor and looking at me with big brown eyes. Just as well visitor hadn't seen him.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Arent they absolutely adorable!

I really miss my welcome visitor.

PS, he was (not) looking at you with his big brown blind eyes!

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

I just looked them up as have never heard of them. They're pretty cute, remind me of a cross between guinea pigs, chinchilla, and rats. What a combination.

mysty

Post by mysty »

We have had something running about in avoid in our ceiling, I just cut some holes in the plasterboard ceiling and put some poison down and sealed up the holes again.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

mysty wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:42 pm
We have had something running about in avoid in our ceiling, I just cut some holes in the plasterboard ceiling and put some poison down and sealed up the holes again.
Oh dear, dead fairies

mysty

Post by mysty »

Definitely not fairies they were moving in, its cold and wet outside and we have central heating and insulation. :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience